•  
Advertise here

Things mechanics hate

Barry

For me it has to be, 

People arguing about price. Sure, there’s a bit of discount for regular customers but if you want a good job done it costs money. It’s not just my time, it’s the cost of tools, lifts etc. These things don’t pay for themselves. It’s a business.

Calling every 30 minutes to see if your car is ready. I can’t finish your car if I’m spending 3 hours a day answering the phone. I’ll call you when it’s done.

Giving a diagnosis from another mechanic. I used to waste so much time chasing up stuff that the customer said another mechanic said was wrong. Sometimes it’s better just to listen to the symptoms and do your own leg work. 

Getting mad over breakages. Sometimes you have to remove a good part to get access to the faulty part and the good part will break. Sure some mechanics are cack handed but nobody ever thinks the parts on their car are old and brittle and will break if you touch them. It’s not always the mechanics fault. 

Asking to borrow tools. No. That torque wrench cost 750 dhs and just had a 6 month calibration at 300 dhs. 

Telling me you diagnosed your fault on google. Ok. I’m still going to plug it in and do my own proper diagnosis. If you insist on paying 2 sets of labour, ok. The customer is always right?

Staring over my shoulder when I’m working. I really hate this one. If you ask me how to do something I’ll show you. If you’re staring over my shoulder, it makes me feel like you think I don’t know what I’m doing. Like you know any better?

Don’t get butthurt because I’m bashing something with a hammer. I’m hitting it with a hammer because it needs to be hit with a hammer. 

If your car overheated and you kept on driving, just tell me. Don’t hide it. Knowing exactly what happened makes my job a lot easier and saves you money. Same with every fault, just be honest. It’s not for me, it’s for you. 

If I tell you what the fault is with your car, that’s the fault so believe it. I have better things to do with my time than guess and rebuild an engine 3 times. It’s not a game. 

If I diagnose your car, I should be the one to repair it. I see too many parts fitters here. Customer gets the fault diagosed with a reputable mechanic then goes to a hack to get parts swapped. 

Last one. Clean your car before you come in or at least take the trash out of it. Crawling upside down under a dashboard and rubbing my head on a carpet covered in cigarette ash and dog poop from your shoes isn’t a nice experience. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

In my opinion and interactions they really hate being told what to do ans insist they know everything and their way is the right way. Have had many arguments with mechanics where I stood my ground and insisted on what and how something needs to be done. 

Obviously many weren't gracious enough to eat humble pie later.

For me it has to be answering the phone and an idiot on the other end says, "My car won't start, what do think the problem could be?" Drives me absolutely crazy, that does. 

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, treks said:

For me it has to be answering the phone and an idiot on the other end says, "My car won't start, what do think the problem could be?" Drives me absolutely crazy, that does. 

That’s one of my favourite questions. 

Standard answer - There’s a problem with the capacitor bank in the flip flop diode relay. I better take a look at it so I can recalibrate the resistors because, you know, the ohms are affecting the output voltage. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Barry said:

That’s one of my favourite questions. 

Standard answer - There’s a problem with the capacitor bank in the flip flop diode relay. I better take a look at it so I can recalibrate the resistors because, you know, the ohms are affecting the output voltage. 

giphy.gif giphy.gif  giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Told the customer to bring main and converter seals weeks ago when he dropped it atlast almost half an hour ago the phone rings and surprise it's him enquiring if he can get the car by night as he needs to go to abu Dhabi tonight....

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

5 minutes ago, shadow79 said:

Told the customer to bring main and converter seals weeks ago when he dropped it atlast almost half an hour ago the phone rings and surprise it's him enquiring if he can get the car by night as he needs to go to abu Dhabi tonight....

Should have offered to drop a new set of pistons in while he was waiting 

• Haha (+1) 3