•  
Advertise here

GS8 Gac motors

timmyjt

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the GS8 from Gac motors. 

I just need an SUV for daily commute from Abu Dhabi to Dubai and back.

The features it offers and a great price and good mileage maybe.

Any thoughts are welcome.

• Like (+1) 2

Funny that GAC was called Trumpchi before but they decided to change that name when they entered US markets :) 

Do you want to go for the 2WD or the 4WD version ? There is a definite price difference according to Drivearabia website.

Considering that you are in the same price region of the base Pajero, or a Korean SUV like Hyundai or Kia, i'd be a bit more inclined to stick with the more well known brands, but that is just me. They won't come with all the bells and whistles of this Chinese SUV.

The 2.0 Turbocharged 4 cylinder will be more economical than a 6 cylinder, so that is a good thing to have on your commute. On the other hand, having a 4 cylinder in such a big SUV might mean that the Turbo will have to work hard, and in this climate this might not be the best thing.

It's definitely worth a try, and it is a fact that the Chinese are coming up strong. Have you checked the HAVAL H9 ? 

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@timmyjt I have heard that the Chinese cars don't produce as much power and are a bit slow on acceleration. Moreover their mileage is also very poor. To make a wise decision as they loose their resale value really quick. I would recommend to go with tried and tested brands. Don't look for cheap, look for value for money. A lot of dealerships are offering a lot of extras with the vehicle which covers some costs. Furthermore when you get a better resale value you will automatically be the winner.

• Like (+1) 2

Agree with @Rahimdad on this one.

If you're planning to sell the car in 2-3 years, then you should look at a car with the best resale value or you will lose too much money. But then we are talking Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Nissan.

With regards to Korean cars such as Hyundai and Kia, have friends who drive Korean cars and they are very satisfied:

* One friend drove an old Kia Opirus in KSA. He literally drove it into the ground. It has 680,000kms and was still going strong, apart from the regular maintenance.

* Another friend drove a Hyundai Veracruz 3.6. Was a great, fully equipped SUV, and last time i checked on him he was way above 280kms and without any big issues. 

This all depends of course on the maintenance and care you take of your vehicle, and a bit of luck. If you buy new, the Korean always have great extras and good warranty schemes. 

* The very cheap Koreans such as Accent and Rio are nippy and reliable but i heard they suffer a bit from under-powered AC units.

In some cases such as yours when racking up high mileage in short time, leasing a budget model might come in handy. You don't have to worry about a thing, and pay a fixed amount that includes maintenance, insurance, etc.. After 2-3 years you give them back the keys and choose another model. No questions asked, no discussions about resale value, and so on. 100% hassle free. But i advise to steer away from leasing above 2500dhs per month. In that price region you might be better off buying something and paying off the loan.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

If you’re just driving from Abu Dhabi to Dubai and back do you really need a SUV? An old Mercedes E class would be a much nicer place to sit. 

I’m still watching Chinese cars with interest. In the 70s and 80s everyone laughed at Japanese cars. In the 90s and 2000s everyone laughed at Korean cars. Look where they are now. Give it another 5-10 years and having a Chinese car will make you a sc3n3 king. 

• Like (+1) 2

The GS8 has so many features at such a great price which is hard to ignore, but then as @Barry said we will have to watch and see how they fare in the long run. Are they reliable enough for daily long commuting or just city runs. 

I act checked the mileage stated on the municipality sticker which was excellent @Rahimdad . It's a 2.0 turbo charged and had enough acceleration for a vehicle that I am considering to use for daily long drives. I test drove a gs 8 the other day. Features were endless. Quality only time will tell. 5 years warranty and other offers.

Going back to what @Fredericand @Gaurav said.. Japanese reliability is proven and you don't have to worry about anything and it will just keep going. 

I'm only interested in driving / selling the Pajero because i am only going to get around 15k for my 10 year old 3.8. hence I just keep using it for my daily Abu Dhabi to Dubai back drives and sell it. Mileage is a concern for my Pajero ..I get 7 to 8 km /liter and the GS8 and dodge gives 14 and 18. The savings in fuel will add up. I prefer an SUV and looking at price and mileage, dodge and gs8 look great.

Any thoughts

Which Dodge are you considering? They are at least a name and have a history of producing cars for generations. Some of their vehicles are really good, but SUV is only Durrango I'm aware of and it's quite expensive if I'm not wrong.

Hey @Rahimdad, yes I was looking at the dodge Durango and the prices have come down a lot. Used to be 160k, and with all the offers, a friend of mine picked one up for 120K. So I was thinking with all the savings on fuel, this is a great deal.i only am not sure of how reliable it is after the warranty period of 5 years. My Pajero is extremely reliable and it's my 11th year. I only wish it was more fuel friendly.

The one you are looking at is with the Pentastar V6 or the V8 Hemi?

Hemi V8 are reliable teh 5.7 liter ones, teh even have MDS system which closes 4 cylinders when not in use, The Pentastar V6 is good for the first 100 - 150K kmswithin the warranty, but there seems to be some issue with it as soon as the warranty get's over.