•  
Advertise here

Replacement Shocks for Pajero (123000 kms)

I have a Pajero 2015, 3.5 ltr V6.

So I had this severe dashboard rattle which started sometime back. I suspected the tyres and got them checked at multiple shops with all of them saying that the tyre has got some life left.

However this week the rattling was unbearable at any small dips or on even slight variations on the road. I thought to get my shocks checked once for any leakages or any damage to the shocks. The culprit was found. The right front shock had a broken bush and the left one was not behaving normal. The left shock absorber behaviour could be because the right bush was broken and the left felt a bit harder than the right. However the mechanic advised me to change the front shock for both the sides. He gave me an estimate of 540 Dhms for parts (from Habtoor) and labour would be extra.

I have always felt that he Original Mitsubishi shocks were not so good at dampening. I am also thinking to get the rear ones changed as well.

So my queries are

a) Do I need to go for OEM Shocks?

b) Is it also recommended to change the top mount for shocks?

c) Any 3 brands which can replace the shocks in Pajero. I do not take my Pajero offroad and hence comfortable ride is a priority on road.

d) Price range for front and back pair.

c) Where do I get these from?

Thank you 

Edited by vishlad702
  • Like (+1) 1

Hi,

I too have similar issues and I am also looking for some suggestion any other brand shocks.I do little bit newbie kind of off-roading and in fact i changed my springs 6mnths back which gave me a lift of approx 1.5 “ which is ok for me to retain and now I have rattling noice from my front and the culprit is the front shocks both are gone (off course they accept my rubbish driving for last 10 years) now I have to give them Retirement. I got some inspections with few garages and the finding  is most of my bushes are gone and they just stick with it because they have no choice to escape 😀. So I have decided to replace all of them and with new shocks and mine is done 156000kms and now have plan to change all the oils as I did last. 100k to give some new blood to keep my dear to be healthy for few more years...

Luckily I have no big vibrations so far @ 120 kms speed I wanted to get it fixed before it give any major complaints.

i also find some slight oil leakage(kind of 😓) from my cylinder head cover very minor and seems I may need to change the gasket. I remember it started while off-roading some time back in fossil rock area.

thanks for reading a big message and all your suggestions are highly appreciated 

• Like (+1) 1

@vishlad702 if you aren't using the car for offroading and previously happy with the stock setup, my HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION is to stick to original Mitsubishi shock setup to not to open a big can of worms come with another shock unless they are the direct replacement.

@Praveenmp same goes for you but halfway as you are offroading and with this shock change opportunity you can look into upgrading to stiffer suspension or adjustable setup to have best of both worlds: Soft for road + hard for offroad. In your case moving away from stock suspension is better and advisable but do your research on various brands like Tough dog, Ranchos, Old Man, Rough Country, Dobinsons, Kings etc. to see what price point you are looking at.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

@vishlad702 if you aren't using the car for offroading and previously happy with the stock setup, my HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION is to stick to original Mitsubishi shock setup to not to open a big can of worms come with another shock unless they are the direct replacement.

@Praveenmp same goes for you but halfway as you are offroading and with this shock change opportunity you can look into upgrading to stiffer suspension or adjustable setup to have best of both worlds: Soft for road + hard for offroad. In your case moving away from stock suspension is better and advisable but do your research on various brands like Tough dog, Ranchos, Old Man, Rough Country, Dobinsons, Kings etc. to see what price point you are looking at.

Hi Gaurav! Thank you for your advise! Over past 2 days I have approached some garages and one name which popped out the most was KYB. Are they any good?

Regards

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Yes KYB and Tokiko something is the OEM one, but better to stick to same with Habtoor for eliminating any doubts or surprises.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

6 hours ago, vishlad702 said:

Hi Gaurav! Thank you for your advise! Over past 2 days I have approached some garages and one name which popped out the most was KYB. Are they any good?

Regards

5 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Yes KYB and Tokiko something is the OEM one, but better to stick to same with Habtoor for eliminating any doubts or surprises.

Regards

Hi thanks for your valuable time and suggestion definitely I will do some ground work to find the suitable one and will update thanks a lot

Regards

• Like (+1) 1

Second vote for KYB. I’ve been using them for 20 years and I give preference to them over manufacturer branded shocks. Unless we’re going into more expensive stuff, then I would recommend Koni Gas Adjustables, totally pointless for every day driving though. KYB is same quality as dealer but better price. Kayaba is a well established brand who know what they are doing.

If you’re driving on tarmac, go for the KYB Gas filled shocks. Little bit more expensive (not much) than oil filled, but the ride is so much better. The only downside is that gas shocks wear out a little bit faster than oil filled shocks but we’re not talking about much. 60-70k for gas shocks versus 70-80k for oil filled so in the grand scheme of things for long term use, it’s nothing. A few extra dirhams for your comfort every day is totally worth it. 

Also, change the top mounts if you are changing the shocks. It costs money but it isn’t too expensive. If you have to pay for a second set of labour, 10, 15, 20k down the line, it will cost more. 

• Like (+1) 4

@vishlad702  I just replaced my front shock absorbers a month ago and I let Autopro to replaced it for me rather than Habtoor. You will got a good labour discount (50%) if maybe you purchased the DSF Nissan Patrol promotion raffle coupon (Etisalat, Du, Salik card).

Just a suggestion in case your concern with the budget too. I recommend Auto Pro Al Nahda 1, there were two technicians there that worked from Mitsubishi Habtoor and they handle the job very well. 

>Habtoor Quote = 3490AED

> Auto Pro with the 50% Labour discount, I payed: 2500AED 

On 2/21/2019 at 4:26 PM, chutz said:

@vishlad702  I just replaced my front shock absorbers a month ago and I let Autopro to replaced it for me rather than Habtoor. You will got a good labour discount (50%) if maybe you purchased the DSF Nissan Patrol promotion raffle coupon (Etisalat, Du, Salik card).

Just a suggestion in case your concern with the budget too. I recommend Auto Pro Al Nahda 1, there were two technicians there that worked from Mitsubishi Habtoor and they handle the job very well. 

>Habtoor Quote = 3490AED

> Auto Pro with the 50% Labour discount, I payed: 2500AED 

You paid 2500 for 2 shocks? What were they made of? It costed me 480 dhms to replace my front shocks with protection of which 390 dhms was for material and balance for labor.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, vishlad702 said:

You paid 2500 for 2 shocks? What were they made of? It costed me 480 dhms to replace my front shocks with protection of which 390 dhms was for material and balance for labor.

@vishlad702 Sorry for the confusion and not mentioned that I replaced the list attached,. that was the quote I received from Habtoor.

Front suspensions.JPG

• Like (+1) 1