•  
Advertise here

Offroad club vs private drive, which is better?

derik

On 2/20/2019 at 5:17 PM, derik said:

yes i have exp of 8-10 drives in last 2 years and we go 5 to 10 cars with famiy

8 10 drives is never enough it's a continuous learning process being in group drives you get to experience many aspects which you might not experience

• Like (+1) 3

When I was doing drives. When I wanted to do a serious fast pace drive specially exploring some new area I would go with a few friends, who were good drivers aswell as friends. 

When I was more in the mood for a chilll relaxed affair with lots of chatting, eating and just loitering I would go for a club drive. 

On rare occasions when I felt like letting other join in the fun of new areas I would post a drive on the club and let most join, buy never newbie drives. I really don't have the patience for it and full marks to people who do and do them regularly.

My last was with RD long before carnity came into existence and it just got my goat. Just sitting there less than 100-150mtrs from the road ti get out and finish the drive and see everyone just getting stuck again and again. I think the convoy cleared that single stretch in like over 2 hrs. That was it for me never went on a newbie drive after that. 

• Like (+1) 4

@desertdude that was the same drive I got stuck on knee deep soft sand patch with my Disco. Your expertise helped me to get out of it on the Discos own power with the difflock and crawling in what seemed for ever. Your patience and cool headed approach really helped me out that day. It also taught me a few important lessons in keeping cool and the art of self recovery which with Disco used to be a breeze.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rahimdad said:

@desertdude that was the same drive I got stuck on knee deep soft sand patch with my Disco. Your expertise helped me to get out of it on the Discos own power with the difflock and crawling in what seemed for ever. Your patience and cool headed approach really helped me out that day. It also taught me a few important lessons in keeping cool and the art of self recovery which with Disco used to be a breeze.

To be totally honest I don't remember that incident. And yes Discos torque which starts from very low rpms and pretty much stays level throughout the rpm band makes it a tough offtoader. 

Even after many years of driving it it would occasionally surprise me. Like a drive in wagan ( anothe one of those private drives ) I was following PR on his quad badger. We had to cross over a big wall of dunes and there was a little dip on top between the peaks so he chose to go through that. He went across and I went after him after completing ty climbing instead of a ridge there was a tiny but deep bowl on top between the dune peaks and I had no choice but to go into it. It's sides were steep and twice or thrice the height of my car. If I bent down I could barely see the edge from the top of my windscreen.and maybe 5 feet space in the back and front.

I knew I wasn't getting out of it easily and without help but I sais what's the harm in at least trying once. So I backed up as much as I could in the tight bowl which wasn't much and then just mashed the pedal. AND LO and behold. The thing slowly like a tank on tracks climbed up the wall and over the edge to the other side. 

I saw the look on PRs face, his jaw firmly on the floor and then realized so was mine! Just couldnt believe what had just happened !!!

Ayoubs XJ was next followed by a TJ wrangler needless to say we spent sometime trying to help those cars go through this bowl.

So back on topic the most fun I've had was in nom club drives and new to me areas. Like when me Sikander bhai in his TJ and ayoub in his XJ went for a full day exploration drive from marqaub to lisaili. Hitting the small technical dunes first to get to the shade of the trees for some lunch. Then checking out the sandstone formations and then hitting the big dunes to end the drive.

Or my first drive to sweihan once again with two XJs. Almost flipped on that one as I got stuck on a very high and very sharp ridge. With the ridge going from the center of the car front to back. Was ridge riding and got bogged down in soft sand. And while trying to reverse it started to tilt dangerously to one side so had to anchor it to one of the XJs on he one side and slowly crawl back. 

And many such drives. :D

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:17 PM, derik said:

yes i have exp of 8-10 drives in last 2 years and we go 5 to 10 cars with famiy

Yup got to agree, 8-10 drives over a span of 2 yrs is nothing. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1