•  
Advertise here

Types of Jacks - Which one do you prefer?

Javier M

1 hour ago, sertac said:

@Wrangeld is below same jack as what you have? 

https://www.noon.com/uae-en/2-ton-hydraulic-trolley-jack-blue-black/N22239108A/p

Also is anyone knows about below jacks this one seems very cheap and it made me think about its quality. 

https://www.noon.com/uae-en/2-ton-hydraulic-floor-jack/N22946514A/p?o=eae90beb9af6b42e

Looks very similar to the one we bought yes, and despite @Gaurav's taunting, it is a Ford 2 tonne jack. The only drawback I found so far is that it comes with a cardboard box. That is now being held together with duck tape. If there is a version with a plastic cover go for that as it might make storage a little easier. I bought mine through Amazon and not noon - so there is a small chance it is genuine! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I picked up a jack from DM 2 days ago and noticed each model had a different max lift  height. What would be a good max height for the desert? A lot of times we have to lift a lot higher due to the uneven surface. The one I ended up buying is 360 mm max height.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Brette said:

I picked up a jack from DM 2 days ago and noticed each model had a different max lift  height. What would be a good max height for the desert? A lot of times we have to lift a lot higher due to the uneven surface. The one I ended up buying is 360 mm max height.

Same here: 359mm for the 2T JZX model with swivel neck. Which is enough In my opinion, as long as you have some thick wooden boards that you can stack on each other when you need to obtain a bit more height.

It also depends if you’re lifting on the arm or the chassis. If you use jack up the arm then you don’t need to lift much, if you’re lifting on a chassis point you’ll be reaching the max lift height mostprobably. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I would recommend the JZX 2 ton Jack as it has a wider base which would give better stability. Plus you can get it with the swivel neck.

DM is just like any other shopping mall and I have been there recently and it's hardly crowded. If you still have apprehensions you could call the store and ask him to deliver it to you outside DM. I am sure they would do it.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Great tips as usual on this thread from all the experienced people. Kudos.

Well we all know the fun part being in the drives for some time, but you all have done more for sure and you know very well what it takes to get out from a difficult situation.  That's what matters and probably it gets more serious and comes with more responsibility that you progress in the experience. I am telling this after seeing few difficult situations where we all as a convoy group came out on road well in time .

Great learning 👍

• Like (+1) 4

Hi, I bought a bottle jack, and asked welding shop at mussafah for the base plate and 2 additional saddles/supports to fit my rear axle (U shape) and front beam (flat shape). This support can act as extension height as well as for safety. The stopper at base plate is not enough height to avoid slidding/overturning the jack, then I asked them to revise it. Please comment.

20200229_100425.jpg

20200229_094526.jpg

20200229_100152.jpg

20200229_111617.jpg

Edited by IMAMP
  • Well Done (+2) 2

I was once interviewing Frank Murray from AAA Recovery and asked what his one go-to piece of desert drive equipment would be. He said a high jack with a wheel sling (for lifting the wheel specifically) he didn't even want a spade, said if the wheel sinks into sand, just use the jack and sling to raise it, fill in the depression and continue your drive. He was pretty knowledgeable, so I follow his advice. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, IMAMP said:

Hi, I bought a bottle jack, and asked welding shop at mussafah for the base plate and 2 additional saddles/supports to fit my rear axle (U shape) and front beam (flat shape). This support can act as extension height as well as for safety. The stopper at base plate is not enough height to avoid slidding/overturning the jack, then I asked them to revise it. Please comment.

20200229_100425.jpg

20200229_094526.jpg

20200229_100152.jpg

20200229_111617.jpg

This is well fabricated and a good idea. Just be aware of the fact that in the desert most likely you’ll need to be able to insert the jack from weird angles and have very limited space. That will create issues for a bottle jack I am afraid. 
Secondly, once you reach higher levels on the off-road ranking, you will be fixing pop-outs on other vehicles too, so your tailormade solution won’t work anymore.

• Totally Agree (+2) 4

6 hours ago, andy_macdxb said:

I was once interviewing Frank Murray from AAA Recovery and asked what his one go-to piece of desert drive equipment would be. He said a high jack with a wheel sling (for lifting the wheel specifically) he didn't even want a spade, said if the wheel sinks into sand, just use the jack and sling to raise it, fill in the depression and continue your drive. He was pretty knowledgeable, so I follow his advice. 

have a look at the above video. I am not an expert in hi-lift jacks but using them in the desert and not being able to lift from any point of the car renders it useless. On top of that this is a pretty dangerous tool.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

29 minutes ago, Frederic said:

have a look at the above video. I am not an expert in hi-lift jacks but using them in the desert and not being able to lift from any point of the car renders it useless. On top of that this is a pretty dangerous tool.

I've used them in the past while off-roading in rocks. They are useful as long as you have the right surface and your car has the correct Jack points. But they are super dangerous we had to make sure nobody came close the car since they could easily be tipped on the side and the use of Jack stands is a must.

41 minutes ago, Frederic said:

This is well fabricated and a good idea. Just be aware of the fact that in the desert most likely you’ll need to be able to insert the jack from weird angles and have very limited space. That will create issues for a bottle jack I am afraid. 
Secondly, once you reach higher levels on the off-road ranking, you will be fixing pop-outs on other vehicles too, so your tailormade solution won’t work anymore.

I agree with you. There's times where I had to dig because the floor jack won't even fit when recovering vehicles with a pop out, I can only imagine having a bottle Jack would make things even worse. Specially for low clearance vehicles like xterras, pajeros, Pathfinders etc. Pretty much anything that is not a Jeep.

I can remember one year ago a Pathfinder had a popout in a very difficult angle in the middle of a ditch, I took us more than an hour to fix the pop out and recover the vehicle out of the ditch I'm sure @Emmanuel remembers this. 

• Like (+1) 3