•  
Advertise here

20 minutes ago, topgear said:

@Frederic How long did you keep the FJC before getting the current Pajero? 

That's a funny story:

As a European (who had never seen an  FJ Cruiser), i moved to Saudi Arabia in 2012 and found this wonderful blue FJ which was an American Import with a bit of miles on it, but zero offroading history. On the first weekend i took it into some sandy area (not really dunes) and though i was deflated, the car got stuck in minutes.

Soon, some locals approached me and tried to get the car out (blip blip was unknown to me back then..) And suddenly one of the locals got inside the car and asked "where is the 4H lever" to which i had to admit this car did not had it and i assumed this was because the FJ was permanent 4x4.

Long story short: my nice Blue FJ was a 4x2 model (yes not a 4x4). 😅

Kept it anyways as during that time i was not in a club and only went camping and BBQ ing with friends on nearby flat areas with gentle dunes, so with some deflation i could manage.

Sold it in 2014 as i moved back to Europe for a year, and only came back to Middle East in end of 2015 and bought my little Pajero in 2017 here in Dubai.

image.png.e6f7399898ec0ca2d442f28835bd9476.png

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Just now, Frederic said:

Long story short: my nice Blue FJ was a 4x2 model (yes not a 4x4). 😅

Not sure why but many Japanese 4x4 cars are sold as 4x2 in US, I have seen 4x2 Xterra, Pathfinder, Tundra, QX56, Armada, 4runner. Maybe more

My dad once got an 4x2 American tundra by mistake, and its for export to Africa, luckily the friend over there still accepted.

One common for those 4x2 is that they don't have the control nob/lever for 4wd system

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Karan Hotel in Fanateer Area :) 

Hello guys,

I just bought a 2009 infiniti qx56 for strictly offroading only. Reading this thread looks like the the car is too heavy for spirited offroading. 

The car has done 200K kms but the Engine and Tranny are super smooth. Changed the bushes for suspension and differentials + the engine mountings and it drives like a dream. Taking it for my first offroad session tomorrow.

Planning to offroad it for this winter and replace it with a lighter SWB SUV for the next winter. Your opinions are welcome!

30 minutes ago, Krishna R said:

Hello guys,

I just bought a 2009 infiniti qx56 for strictly offroading only. Reading this thread looks like the the car is too heavy for spirited offroading. 

The car has done 200K kms but the Engine and Tranny are super smooth. Changed the bushes for suspension and differentials + the engine mountings and it drives like a dream. Taking it for my first offroad session tomorrow.

Planning to offroad it for this winter and replace it with a lighter SWB SUV for the next winter. Your opinions are welcome!

It's all about you, its too early to conclude that a full size suv isnt good for your offroad needs. We have Marshal driving Yukon blasting desert, and so many y62 y61 drivers doing fantasic job too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Totally agree with @Zixuan Huang - Charlie. Use what you currently have to learn the skills. Every offroad vehicle has its own pros and cons. Join our weekly drives and have a look around and talk to owners of many other 4x4's to make up your final mind about what you are particularly aiming for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1