•  
Advertise here

9 hours ago, desertdude said:

Nissan Armada, an OK one for 10 and a really good one for under 20k and with a VK 5.4 V8 317hp and weighing 2.4 tons it also falls in the made up scale of good in the Hp/ton at 137 

Well that made up scale is based on real-life usage of BUYING and USING 4x4 for dune bashing rather than sitting on a laptop like a duck and watching tube and judging

• 60 - 80 hp/ton - Underpower for dunes - Not own, but driven few times
  • 80 - 100 hp/ton - Borderline OK - 2002 Land Rover Discovery
  • 100 - 120 hp/ton - Acceptable - 2003 - Land Cruiser GXR and 2006 Nissan Patrol
  • 120 - 150 hp/ton - Good - 1999 Mitsubishi Pajero
  • 150 - 200 hp/ton - Very Good - 2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer
  • 200 - 250 hp/ton - Excellent - 2012 Land Rover Range Rover

Thanks for your valuable input for Armada, I think Expedition also falls in a similar category. Will research both and add them in the list.

Off course these numbers are to benchmark performance, but car overall condition really dictates the capability. As I remember buying 5.7 or 5.2 Magnum Jeep Grand Cherokee and spending money to make a project car, but every time I hit the sand in 4x4 gearing it starts heating up. Sold within 3 months.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad (0) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

6 hours ago, Gaurav said:

but every time I hit the sand in 4x4 gearing it starts heating up. Sold within 3 months.

As you know I had similar experience with my sheep also sold in same amount of time

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

Is the previous Fortuner model 4.0 a contender here ? Prices came down since the newer model was introduced. I’m not so fond of the previous model but it’s probably the cheapest entry Toyota with that 4.0 ?

• Like (+1) 6

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

20 hours ago, desertdude said:

As you know I had similar experience with my sheep also sold in same amount of time

I remember having the privilege to ride in that sheep for the last time when it went home on recovery from Lisali trip

I added Armada and after little research, it seems that its offroad version is V8 Xterra ahead of Xterra time that comes with Ranchos shocks, skid plate, trimmed bumper for better clearance and tow hook package. Good find. Thanks.

For Ford Expedition I had a word with my friend who drove his brand new Expedition for offroad and he doesn't recommend it due to being too long and heavy, but powerful, so will skip it from the list.

5 hours ago, Frederic said:

Is the previous Fortuner model 4.0 a contender here ? Prices came down since the newer model was introduced. I’m not so fond of the previous model but it’s probably the cheapest entry Toyota with that 4.0 ?

I checked the price and cheapest is around 25k atm and that is 2006 Fortuner but 2.7 and not 4.0. Although 2.7 Prado and Fortuner are underpowered 4x4 for dunes, still classify as a full-fledged 4x4 with low gearing. Maybe next year will add them here once 4.0 drops below 20K, ;-)

• Like (+1) 4

Hey all, this is a first version of the scrapper for the below 10k cars. It updates once a day (it should) and I will try to correct all bugs with time. Let me know if you find it helpful and what other info we can add to it.

Scrapper 4x4 on a budget

@Gaurav wikipedia is not the best database for weight/power information on cars, especially with the GCC version. I am looking for something more reliable and easier to track, will update you all soon. 

• Like (+1) 5

Thanks @edouard for making this wonderful scrapper to help new buyers with price guidance.

Good use of knowledge to contribute and help others. I have added it in the main list.

If ever you change the URL, please let me know to update the link.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1