•  
Advertise here

There is no Jap Spec pathfinders of that generation. 1st because they were called they Nissan Terrano in Japan and 2nd cars made in Japan for the Japanese domestic market or JDM are all right hand drive. 

So if it's actually a Japan imported Pathfinder it will be badged as a Terrano and will be RHD.

So someone is taking the piss here by telling you it's Japan specs

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

After yesterday`s drive i want to compare my old car 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0(Auto) and 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0(Auto). I was pretty happy with my Grand Cherokee but i was never tested it properly. I went to Qudra, Maleha area few times but all was newbie drive. Yesterday on Fewbie drive at Sweihan i saw the real capacity of the car. I found chance to climb some dunes while convoy is stopped for pop out.

At my old Cherokee 1/2 manual gear was together so while i was climbing it was shifting to 2 itself even tough i want to stay on 1 and i was losing momentum. With Grand Cherokee 1 and 2 is separate, so if i want to stay at 1st gear it will stay and it will go to redline never shift up. Whit this advantage i found Grand Cherokee is climbing more easier than Cherokee. Yes Grand Cherokee is heavier car with extra 250kg but it has 10hp more than a regular cherokee. Yes it is bigger car but not big as today`s Grand Cherokee. Still i have to say if you find and if you can drive manual get a Manual Cherokee over auto Cherokee or Grand Cherokee but if you are going with Auto gearbox I am thinking Grand Cherokee is better option. 

• Like (+1) 2

Guys (and girls), which dealer / site do you use to get a used Xterra?  I would love to buy a decent old model (under 150k kms as suggested), but have no idea where to start looking?  While my Prado is more than competent, I want to "save" it a bit...

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, andy_macdxb said:

Any significant difference PAJ 3.5 vs 3.8 in the desert? Most time in low range anyway, right?

Also, how come no-one ever mentions Ford Explorer/Exhibition, are they below commenting on..

Driving in desert is done in High Range. Low range is for recovery purposes only. 
Pretty big difference in 3.5 vs 3.8 in performance. Both are decent off-road vehicles but the 3.8 has definitely the upper hand.

Ford Explorer is AWD vehicle which is something completely different, but we’ve seen them performing good for newbie level. The lack of Proper ground clearance and electronic gizmos classifies this car as not advisable for real off-road adventures. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

50 minutes ago, andy_macdxb said:

okay, thats useful. And I'll remember high range. My bad. Do you do all your desert driving in high as a general rule?

Yes and whatever you might hear about guys driving around in low gear, these will be the first ones to fry their transmission in weeks or months. It’s a bad habit and serves no purpose.

• Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

5 hours ago, Frederic said:

Yes and whatever you might hear about guys driving around in low gear, these will be the first ones to fry their transmission in weeks or months. It’s a bad habit and serves no purpose.

That's not entirely true, specially if you have a stick shift. You can start in 3rd and then use 4th and 5th. That extra bit of torque helps in tricky situations.

Sometimes you encounter a patch that you really need to push through. Low range helps there too..

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Frederic said:

Actually, on you-tube, lots of video guiding desert driving in Low Range Gear. For absolute newbie, that shall be bench mark for desert driving. But, your point is definitely valid to avoid low range gear when you can drive in high range gear.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Chirag S. said:

Actually, on you-tube, lots of video guiding desert driving in Low Range Gear. For absolute newbie, that shall be bench mark for desert driving. But, your point is definitely valid to avoid low range gear when you can drive in high range gear.

I am actually quite surprised with your recommendation of desert driving on low range gearing. My points are:

1. In all our absolute Newbie desert drives, everyone has been driving on 4H without facing any difficulty. So what further advantage would 4Low offer in normal desert driving conditions?

2. We have plenty of live examples of guys frying their transmission because some offroad clubs recommend driving on 4 Low ONLY. Some of those guys are on this forum as well and if they wish they can share their experience without naming the clubs.

If you love your car, you would definitely would not like to strain it with continuous driving in 4Low. Low range gearing is to be used only for the following :

1. Self Recovery

2. Towing or Tugging

3. Steep hill descent

• Totally Agree (+2) 2