•  
Advertise here

8 hours ago, desertdude said:

That's not entirely true, specially if you have a stick shift. You can start in 3rd and then use 4th and 5th. That extra bit of torque helps in tricky situations.

Sometimes you encounter a patch that you really need to push through. Low range helps there too..

I agree and that's the point @Frederic was trying to make. Low gear for stucks and difficult situations, generally you would use high range.

22 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

I am actually quite surprised with your recommendation of desert driving on low range gearing. My points are:

1. In all our absolute Newbie desert drives, everyone has been driving on 4H without facing any difficulty. So what further advantage would 4Low offer in normal desert driving conditions?

2. We have plenty of live examples of guys frying their transmission because some offroad clubs recommend driving on 4 Low ONLY. Some of those guys are on this forum as well and if they wish they can share their experience without naming the clubs.

If you love your car, you would definitely would not like to strain it with continuous driving in 4Low. Low range gearing is to be used only for the following :

1. Self Recovery

2. Towing or Tugging

3. Steep hill descent

Agreed. I do not recommend to drive in low range when you can drive in high range. I was trying to address methods of desert driving teaching in those video uploaded on youtube, to drive in low range gear. I would always prefer to drive in high range and D drive mode normally, unless stuck / refusal /situation demands. 

Edited by Chirag S.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, RohanH said:

How about infinity QX 56 around 2008 which looks like available around 20K

Some people hate I personally like maybe I'm biased because I was part of the team that did the desert testing  during development phase for its original platform the Armada.

But it's big, but feels very light of it's size and it's pretty fast on the road for it's size and powerful in the dunes. But wouldn't recommend it for a person new to the desert

• Like (+1) 2

320 hp / 2.5 ton = 128 hp/ton is a very good power to weight ratio for offroad.

However being LWB and american build quality is totally against to use for offroad after 12 years of production.

I personally haven't seen one to be used in desert on a """"""regular basis""""" before ppl start jumping up and down.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

8 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

320 hp / 2.5 ton = 128 hp/ton is a very good power to weight ratio for offroad.

However being LWB and american build quality is totally against to use for offroad after 12 years of production.

I personally haven't seen one to be used in desert on a """"""regular basis""""" before ppl start jumping up and down.

Reliability wise it's pretty solid from what I've heard. All forums say this as well as a couple of people I know who have them and use it off road regularly.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Reliability wise it's pretty solid from what I've heard. All forums say this as well as a couple of people I know who have them and use it off road regularly.

And I have seen it otherwise, from a colleague who clocked 200k on it when I join his ride to AD and had plenty of time to talk. On road reliability (let alone off-road) and shaky and flaky US standard interior was big turn off.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

And I have seen it otherwise, from a colleague who clocked 200k on it when I join his ride to AD and had plenty of time to talk. On road reliability (let alone off-road) and shaky and flaky US standard interior was big turn off.

Yes agreed the interior is lack luster and cheap American plastic ( maybe the Infiniti version is better but I don't know )

But mechanically other than a few known issues it pretty alright

• Like (+1) 2

When you're thinking about Infinity you're bringing in lots of computers. From my point of view computers and electronics don't go well with sand. I would enjoy it on road, but not really use it off road.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

When you're thinking about Infinity you're bringing in lots of computers. From my point of view computers and electronics don't go well with sand. I would enjoy it on road, but not really use it off road.

Don't listen to this ludite! Lol he has an aversion to anything made in this century.

The Infiniti version has nothing more than different styling in the front end better interior materials like leather, wood and more comfy seats and a better sound system. depending on the options rear entertainment and autoself leveling in the rear, which if you find a hassle can swap out for regular Armada shocks. Drive train components are basically identical. 

• Haha (+1) 1