•  
Advertise here

7 hours ago, desertdude said:

Rav 4 is alright but not really an offroader. LX470 is good, it's basically a Land Cruiser and has great resale on top everything and comes with Lexus reliability. And great on road too.

But some here measure a car with only one metric and that is how high a car will climb a particular dune. Everything else secondary. 

But IMO unless your only aim is to wining dune climbing competitions then it's not the car for you.

But if you like to dune bash up till a pretty advanced level its a great car.

And that's just my opinion

The Lx470 still looks great, but 230hp out of a heavy beast like that is a little bit underpowered. And I’m not talking about doing climbs, merely about having the power to make it through medium sized dunes. 
Maybe the GX470 might be a better option ?

• Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 hours ago, Frederic said:

The Lx470 still looks great, but 230hp out of a heavy beast like that is a little bit underpowered. And I’m not talking about doing climbs, merely about having the power to make it through medium sized dunes. 
Maybe the GX470 might be a better option ?

It's the torque curve that matters not the outright top end. V8s provide almost a flat torque curve even from down low in the rpm range.

It's the 6 and 4 cylinders that can muster torque only at the top end. 

Plus it has the advantage of the hydraulic adjustable height control which gives it a pretty good lift without having to spend on mods.

And the 2005 plus models have the hp bumped up to 275 horses.

Just to give the OP some inspiration :D these are just the regular ass 4.5 inline 6 cylinders I use to drive, 

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2

• 6 months later...

Well going back and looking at @Gaurav post regarding Power-weight ratio per vehicle necessary for dune bashing, I see that my 08 LR3 Rover is a woeful 103hp/ton.  Right at borderline.  Nice to drive around town, but pretty heavy and underpowered(even with the v8) in the sand.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Roger K said:

Well going back and looking at @Gaurav post regarding Power-weight ratio per vehicle necessary for dune bashing, I see that my 08 LR3 Rover is a woeful 103hp/ton.  Right at borderline.  Nice to drive around town, but pretty heavy and underpowered(even with the v8) in the sand.

These are just general guidelines and will mostly depend on driving skills as well. My 150hp little Pajero is underpowered as well but it brings my everywhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 7 months later...

Dear @Gaurav and @Frederic am at newbie level and have done 2 drives in my Lexus GX 460, last one with Gaurav, but now planning to buy an off-roader only for this purpose. There are a few 2007 and 2008 FJ Cruisers available on Dubizzle for around AED 35,000 which mileage of about 200,000 kms. Can you please share your opinion on such old FJ Cruisers and suitability for long term offroading? Thanks a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ankit Jain said:

Dear @Gaurav and @Frederic am at newbie level and have done 2 drives in my Lexus GX 460, last one with Gaurav, but now planning to buy an off-roader only for this purpose. There are a few 2007 and 2008 FJ Cruisers available on Dubizzle for around AED 35,000 which mileage of about 200,000 kms. Can you please share your opinion on such old FJ Cruisers and suitability for long term offroading? Thanks a lot.

The FJ Cruiser is of course a fantastic offroader, and with the Toyota reliability you cannot go wrong. Just make sure you get one that has not been abused too much in the desert. You are better off looking for a stock unmodified model that has only seen malls and the occasional dirt track :) 

I had an FJ before and bought it with 250,000kms on the odometer and it still ran super smooth. Just make sure it has received proper maintenance. Ask for the service history !

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2