•  
Advertise here

Nicelyas per my limited knowledge of Korean cars I think the old Kia Sportage and Sorento were proper 4x4. Not so sure about the reliability and maintenance cost as haven't seen so many around lately. Should be able to get them well under 10k.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Srikumar said:

Except for a Mercedes G Class and Land Rover not sure which European car makes a proper 4x4.

As for Koreans don't think they ever made a 4x4 with low range gearing

The Kia Mohave was pretty capable and powerful with low range gearing, but a bit more difficult to find and angle approach didn’t look very appealing.

https://www.google.ae/amp/s/www.drivearabia.com/carprices/uae/kia/kia-mohave/2012/amp/

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

1 hour ago, Praveenmp said:

Renault duster 4x4 also fall under 20k have seen few guys driving off-road not sure about the performance  

Underpowered imho. We should ask @Barry if he could throw in a Clio Williams engine or RS engine in it. Would make a nice little project 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

In Turkey people are using those Dusters. They are performing beautifully. But the Dusters there have 1.5 turbo diesel engine and manuel gearbox. In here 2.0 gasoline engine and auto gearbox it wont be same. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 2/28/2019 at 8:36 PM, derik said:

You missed out on german, european and korean cars -wht about them?

German cars are delicate for every week dune bashing unless you can use and throw them in 6 months.

European cars, hardly any contender for 4x4 category.

I appreciate if you and others can pinpoint specific 4x4 based on your "REAL LIFE" experience or knowledge and not just a marketing video or images you see in an advertisement.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:12 AM, Praveenmp said:

Renault duster 4x4 also fall under 20k have seen few guys driving off-road not sure about the performance  

Renault Duster, Suzuki Jimny, and likes are underpowered and not really good in a stock state unless you do some serious engine modification or swap.

@sertac it's a different world of offroading in UAE. In sand most 4x4 by far fails by far, so can't swear on world best defender true offroader to cough up on halfway to Iftar bowl, let alone Faya.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add Kia Sorento 2007-2009 to the list. It has 3.3 V6 engine with 242hp and it has proper 4x4 system. 

Prices around 6-15.000AED

I never seen any of these dune bashing but i think those are hidden treasures for this price range.

2009-kia-sorento-frontside_ktsor091.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, sertac said:

I would like to add Kia Sorento 2007-2009 to the list. It has 3.3 V6 engine with 242hp and it has proper 4x4 system. 

Prices around 6-15.000AED

I never seen any of these dune bashing but i think those are hidden treasures for this price range.

2009-kia-sorento-frontside_ktsor091.jpg

Or Kia Mohave (3.8L or 4.6 L) ? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Emmanuel said:

Or Kia Mohave (3.8L or 4.6 L) ? 

I have seen my friend drive the Kia Sorrento with his huge family in the dunes. But don't go just for the figures they are misleading. The car can barely touch Fewbie level. As for the Kia Mojave, once again just fancy car that can carry 7 people, not to sure about their performance in the desert.

One thing I have learned from my experience, to keep cost down and fun level up choose a car that you see often in the desert, they have been established to have spare parts and mods available when you need them.

• Like (+1) 2