•  
Advertise here

Tear in Engine Air Intake Pipe

Dear Carnity Team. 

Good day! Just thought I'd share a recent vehicular performance issue I faced. Please feel free to share your thoughts on this: 

Vehicle: Nissan Patrol Safari Year 2005. Not a Plus 1 car, this is my regular vehicle for all commutes.

1. My car has been in quite a good condition, During my first 2 Off road drives (Newbie) , I was able to punch through quite comfortably. I think the vehicle played a HUGE part in off-setting my inexperience- I am sure it helped me plow through a lot of dicey situations due to sheer power alone, using only the Automatic "D" gear.

2. Post my 2nd drive, returning to On-Road, I started noticing that the car felt a little different, it was as if she took a longer time to achieve prior speeds. I thought that Off-roading had caused some sort of On-road issue, and let it be. 

3. During the latest drive (my 3rd) the car simply wasn't the same. I can't explain the feeling, it's as if she just was not up to it. ;). I wasn't able to charge up the Pink rock on both routes,  I did all the FLOORING of the accelerator that I could but she simply wouldn't budge. 

4.. Luckily, I just got my vehicle serviced today, and the mechanic was able to identify a certain tear in the intake pipe. His actual words were: "Raizing mein problem aata hain kya?" :😂. (Do you have any issues during full throttling?) As per him this could have contributed to the performance issue during the recent Off-road trip. PFA ref Image.

5. A new Intake Pipe costs AED 375 (Shops near Al Suwaidi Garages in Ras Al Khor), I've decided hunt for a used spare later, hence the pipe's torn section has been taped with insulation tape for the time being.

Cheers!

IMG-8510.JPG

• Like (+1) 2

Check your engine mounts as well. If they have failed your engine would be moving like crazy within the engine bay when you are hitting the gas. That would also cause the tear in the engine intake. 

Also, I suggest that you get it replaced at the earliest without much delay as you don't want dust entering your engine.

But not sure if the air intake pipe tear would causes the loss in power as then it would be a free flow air intake which should infact result in more power

• Like (+1) 2

I think you need to learn to drive the car in 1st gear in tricky climbs, soft patches, and cross tracks. When I have driven your car it seems it has enough power to do massive sideys let alone the newbie level climbs and cross track. Every offroader should drive in D in high gear about 75% of the time and the rest 25% of the time you need to manually select 1 or 2 gearing as per required terrain.

For air filter torn neck, @Srikumar doubt is quite right to check all the mounts as apart from that there is no other reason you can tear that neck in spite of having so much play in 6 creases on the neck.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I really hope that guy who put the insulation tape as a temporary fix (shady mechanic), secured it nicely and informed you to not rev too high. If this tape goes inside the engine, it will burn instantly and leave nasty plastic marks on cylinder walls (not good).

Instead of insulating tape, he could have used broad duct tape that is stronger and harder to get it in and then secured that duct tape with cable ties on unbroken crease section.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1. @Srikumar & @GauravThank you, I just realized how a past issue I faced could have contributed to this. I never knew, You guys seem to have nailed it. 🧐. I did have an engine mounting issue in the past, before I joined carnity, and it did take a long time to diagnose! I remember, when the problem was identified and was being fixed, the old mounting fell with the rubber dampers almost nonexistent! I guess the damage to the air pipe was well into play by then, but me being me simply didn’t know 😂.

2. @Gaurav My apologies, I’m still catching up on the lingo 😂. You are right, the mechanic did use a larger tape for fixing the tear- approx 1 inch wide, it was topped with an additional insulation tape of the usual type. #mebeingme 😂

3. @Gaurav if anybody were to ask me- what was the greatest learning of the drive, I should say, here’s where I found the guidance & courage to try and use the tiptronic shift (2nd half of the drive) that I was scared to use before and oh MY, it was awesome!! Thank YOU, you are a true guru!

• Like (+1) 2

A tear in the intake pipe will cause a power issue too because the engine is using unmetered air, ie air that enters the engine but hasn’t travelled through and been measured by the airflow meter, therefore the ECU will send a wrong signal to the fuel system. 

• Like (+1) 4

Yeah I was going to say everybodys talked about everything except the main issue until Barry came along. The tear is sucking in more air than the MAF is reading so most most probably you are running lean i.e more air and less fuel causing it too lose power..

Also back in the Desert Safari days this was a common issue with our 100 series Land Cruisers and no one bothered to fork out for an expensive piece of plastic plumbing. A got wrap around with a good quality duct tape, like gorilla tape worked just fine and lasted a long time too. I can't recall anyone having a tear in the tape. 

Just make sure its wrapped snug and airtight. 

• Like (+1) 5

• 1 month later...

Hello Folks, Howdy!. Just wanted to update that I was unable to find the time to get a used part for the intake pipe, and so got a new one and had it fitted:

1. Part cost: AED 370

2. Fitting Charge: AED 50

So that was AED 420 in total that I had to shell out! ;) 

• Like (+1) 4