•  
Advertise here

Car shutdown on low rpm

Hi guys,

my car has a very strange issue. My car shutsdown when at a traffic light or not driving. It then struggles to start  but starts. Sometimes even while driving and the car hits low rpm, it shuts down even in motion. I got it checked by extreme performance garage and they told me that all is good but the ECU. I got Munich motor works to check it and they’re saying that the gearbox has intermittent problem and that needs to be changed. I am confused. It’s a 2009 convertible 330i in mint condition inside out. Any suggestions...

dhav

• Like (+1) 1

When two different garages giving different reasoning means something is definitely fishy - ECU vs Gearbox

I suggest get the car OBD II diagnostic first and share the trouble codes here so we can advise further.

For such problem like yours, there are many things to doubt, to be honest:

• Clogged air filter
  • ICV as Sri mentioned
  • Clogged fuel injectors
  • Bad spark plugs or coil

When you hit full gas, is there any hesitation, then it could be clogged fuel filter

Guesswork is endless, better get the codes as 2009 Bimmer must be having good computer management.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

OMG, I had the same problem with my Land Rover Discovery, but used to happen only if I had less than half tank of petrol left. For me it was the fuel pump that was not working very well, AED 350/- and an hour later the car started like a dream and did not stop even when the car was running on fumes.

How much Munich Motor is charging to fix and are they giving any guarantee? What all stuff replacement Munich suggested?

Secondly, just hand type the "ACTUAL" trouble codes as this estimation is filled with 1+100 leaks, observation, and protection procedures that may or may not require immediately to solve your main problem.

I remember getting 3000 dhs quote from a reputed garage (30 years exp) for fixing a slight missing (without guarantee), that got cured with replacing ICV for 600 dhs.

I can only read 2C7B (O2 sensor) and 5E18 (DSC/ABS related).

If you paid for this diagnostic then ask them to give you a printed copy of all fault codes without their suggestions or observations, because many times due to one or two sensor failure you get 5-10 error codes which are affected with them.

In my older Range, I got a gearbox failure when it was low battery - changed the battery and car was fine.

• Like (+1) 2

Isn't Munich is saying gearbox and Extreme is saying ECU as per your first post......?

Once you get the printed trouble codes, please post it here

• Like (+1) 1