•  
Advertise here

Car shutdown on low rpm

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Isn't Munich is saying gearbox and Extreme is saying ECU as per your first post......?

Once you get the printed trouble codes, please post it here

Yes, that's right. They're pushing to change the gearbox but Extreme performance garage is saying change ECU as changing gearbox is not going to fix the problem. So I will only change the ECU I think. I don't lose power when driving btw. Car performance is as good as new.

• Confused (0) 1

Before changing or assuming anything, get the diagnostic print out (not handwritten) summary of codes to actually identify what is the issue.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I don't want to throw a spanner into this discussion, but i feel we should not be sharing complete full scan pictures of invoices containing the contact numbers of technicians and other confidential information. Eventually this company could file a complaint as i feel this information is for the owner of the car only, and not to be posted on a public forum.

Just my opinion. Anyway i hope the problem can be solved soon. I know what it its to drive BMW :) 

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Wow @Dhav that's a lot of work on the car. I suggest you take a estimate of repair cost to be done and then decide against the current value of the vehicle. You will understand if it's worth spending on it or it's good to sell it and buy another vehicle.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Ren13 said:

Wow @Dhav that's a lot of work on the car. I suggest you take a estimate of repair cost to be done and then decide against the current value of the vehicle. You will understand if it's worth spending on it or it's good to sell it and buy another vehicle.

I bought this car brand new 10 years ago and is in mint condition inside out. It still drives like new, only issue is occasional engine turning off thing that happens randomly. I want to carry out essential fixes only for now. What should be fixed the ECU or the Gearbox...

• Like (+1) 1

@Dhav you probably didn't understand my earlier message clearly, let me break it down in step by step action.

I don't doubt or believe Extreme or Munich guys but just saying for additional diagnostic because no two guys are pointing the same problem or even remotely close. However when you talk about an intermittent problem then it's genuinely a nightmare for even the competent workshop to spot the correct issue. And it's an expensive fix of either ECU or gearbox, so I would definitely go with the third opinion and then if any two diagnoses are same then I will pull the trigger.

• Step 1: Find a competent BMW diagnostic center, better if they are not a workshop and just a professional diagnostic center only, so chances to get the most unbiased report. You can even check with AGMC to scan the problem if it fits in your budget - just a scan.
  • Step 2: Approach them saying your car switching off issue without influencing their mind with extreme or Munich diagnostic report. Let them work independently.
  • Step 3: Note the actual trouble codes stored in the system as per the first scan.
  • Step 4: Ask them to clear the code.
  • Step 5: If the diagnostic tool offer live data, then drive around with the diagnostic tool hooked in until some fault code pops in as soon as your engine stalls. As it's an intermittent problem so this might take a while to show up. 
  • Step 6: If the diagnostic tool doesn't offer live data, drive around and try to reproduce the engine stalling and as soon as it happens, go back to them and ask them to scan again and get you the new fault codes stored.
  • Step 7: This fault code will be your actual trouble maker and then we can see if it matches with extreme or munich report to attend the right fix.

Try google and find an independent BMW Diagnostic center and get the new codes, preferably printed out of there scanner system rather than handwritten or hand type, which eliminates the room for human error or judgment.

Also check if Motrox still offering free diagnostic for Carnity members, as they had that promotion a while back.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.