•  
Advertise here

How to recover - side stuck safely in sand dunes?

Thx @Gaurav for these very clear and important explanations. If I may add another point regarding safety : before pulling the car, please check that nobody stands or goes around (always keep in mind that a rope, a shackle or a recovery hook can break).

• Like (+1) 5

• 3 months later...

And what do you do if the car is high and/or there is no place for a car to pull from behind or front? 

like stuck sideways half the way up on a steep and high dune.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, desertdude said:

And what do you do if the car is high and/or there is no place for a car to pull from behind or front? 

like stuck sideways half the way up on a steep and high dune.

Dig dig dig or use a winch with great caution, supervision and teamwork to prevent the other side lifting up and also do constant shoveling after every inch of move, to prevent sand wall forming under the lower side of the car.

Using a tow rope on high dune half way up is either fatal with a harder tug to roll the car or leave the second car hanging with the stuck rope with a softer tug.

In such extreme cases you can half / quarter the rope if there is a room to play for second car or join 2-3 ropes where second car safely position himself and have area for back and forth for softer tug and constant shoveling under the tires.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

First of you decide where to pull from, which ever point is lower and even better if the heavier side is the lower side.

And one does bot use snatxh straps/viking rope. But rather a stiff belt abs very gently drag  not directly perpendicular to the stuck vehicle. 

And course the digging part.

My cars have rolled twice in exactly the same scenario because of over enthusiastic tugging, because the person pulling lost patience with the he slow pulls.  

If the dune is not so high and steep and car not too dug in a 1-2ft 90 degree gentle drag is more than enough to set the car free and then let gravity do its work and the car come down on its own. Dome this recovery more times then I can remember and it always works. 

Trying to get horizontal and all in a tame side stuck as I can see in the thumbnail is overkill.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

This is the part we always explain to every off-roader that start the tug softly first and then slowly increase the intensity, but it seems that male ego win over the mind (sometimes).

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.