•  
Advertise here

This is how I fixed the overheating issue with my Jeep

So like any Wrangler owner I had to also deal with the overheating issue for my Jeep.

This issue should not come up during normal driving conditions, this issue only comes up when you push the Wrangler a little harder than normal conditions. i.e. off-roading or when pulling a trailer. (If this issue comes up during normal conditions you need to take it to the shop and have it looked at) 

Disclaimer: I am not saying you should do this, I am only saying what I did to stop my car from overheating since I would not be selling my car any time soon and I am thinking on long-term benefits. 

When I started to go off-road with Carnity and other friends I did not see any changes in temperature, the car was full stock with no mods and it would always run on 50% temperature. I first noticed going to 75% when I started to push the car more in the dunes. Some people consider this within normal limits and I would agree if you are not going off-road every weekend and just going there once in a while.

However, if you keep taking the car to that temperature you will eventually damage the the head gaskets, cylinder heads and bearings, it can even cause an oil thermal breakdown. 

This for me was not acceptable because if it was going to 75% during this cool weather, I knew this was going to be an issue if I was going to go off-road in the summer during those 45 C days. 

I had installed the RIPP 180F thermostat and a high performance radiator, there are many options out there. I choose the Afe Power BladeRunner GT Series Radiator because of the design and the ability to carry 25% more coolant than the stock radiator.

This thermostat allows coolant to flow through the system earlier (about 82 Celsius) as opposed to the stock thermostat that opens at 203F (about 95 Celsius). This combined with the higher cooling capacity of the radiator proved to be a big improvement as it reduced and maintained lower engine temperatures. 

Last weekend we went to sweihan with @Gaurav and the rest of the guys and I went up that big dune many times in a row and I would only see a small rise of temperature but nothing more and it would immediately go down after 5 seconds. I am very happy I was able to get rid of the issue. 

If you don't want to go with a new radiator I would recommend to use the 180F thermostat and an extra fan, that should do the job.

46-50012-b_1_2.1551223839.jpg.c6a1b8969d37532f13080f5d40369322.jpg

For those who don't know that the heck is a Thermostat: 

Capture.JPG.a3490bc75970c08f1b124752f8bb82e3.JPG

Edited by Javier M
  • Like (+1) 7

Excellent post @Javier M, as usual, your contributions are always detailed and helpful. Keep it up.

Only small thing I like to add for others to not to increase the radiator capacity beyond 25% as that will put additional load on the stock water pump. Of course, more coolant is better but one need to offset the load on the water pump that might fail or make it slower in circulation.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I thought about it but the JK's fan already spins at higher revs than older Wrangler versions. They actually install them in the older Jeeps as upgrades.

• Like (+1) 1