•  

Afternoon Fewbie Drive - Al Faqa - 22 Mar 2019

Srikumar

Firstly, apologies for the delayed trip report, as was away from my laptop for many days.So here it goes:

After the newbie drive in the morning, some of us joined for the afternoon fewbie drive as well.. We all reached on time and after a quick brief, we headed out in the attempt to make it to the long range dunes at the other end by sunset. @Rahimdad was in second lead with @Gaurav in center forward position, and @Emmanuel covering the sweep duties.

The entry point had some technical dunes that resulted in a few stucks in the beginning of the drive. As we had repeated stucks within a short span, it was decided to reshuffle the convoy numbering and that helped in a much smoother drive thereafter. We encountered some nice challenging dunes along the way, but it still was not the playable long range dunes for which Faqa was famous. On one such dune, @Frederic discovered the perfect way to get crested, right down the middle with all 4 tyres being free. I have never seen such a beautiful crest in the past 2 years of offroading. Recovering him from this position safely was a challenge, but @Gaurav ensured that Frederic was recovered with minimum amount of fuss. 

By then we had about one hour before sunset and we increased the pace, but unfortunately had a couple of pop-outs and one misaligned steering wheel for @Melvin Martin. Since, we were close to the road Gaurav helped Melvin till the road and bid him farewell. By then the sun had set and we settled down in a nice area for some hard earned meal and drinks. We didn't make it to the long range dunes yet again. This is the fourth time, that I have drive in Faqa had have not made it. Really hope to make it the next time

Thank you to everyone who attended the drive @WiLfY@Jocreative, @Brette@G.huz, @Frederic, @amir.rophail, @Melvin Martin and offcourse to the Marshals @Rahimdad, @Gaurav, and @Emmanuel

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks for the lovely drive @Srikumar i was glad to tip my toes in the sand again after being away for a while. I always knew that one day i would become famous and known because of my stupidities, so that crest was indeed something to remember :)  

I've watched the video footage of other members crossing that ridge maybe 50 times in slo-mo to see what i did wrong there and how i can avoid it in the future. In my case i was riding the ridge but starting to loosen the throttle to slowly come down off the dune, but i lost momentum and in a last effort to win back momentum and pushing the gas, the car straightened itself again, ending up sitting perfectly straight on the top of the dune.

Big thumbs up to @G.huz in the Pathfinder in front of me. He did not seem to break a sweat following @Rahimdad

Another big thumbs up to @Brette who struggled a bit initially but never lost his smile and positive attitude !

And thanks to @Gaurav for breaking in my new clutch and engine 😂. I should put a stamp on it called "Offroad Approved by Carnity's Gaurav".

See you guys next Friday !

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

35 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Thanks for the lovely drive @Srikumar i was glad to tip my toes in the sand again after being away for a while. I always knew that one day i would become famous and known because of my stupidities, so that crest was indeed something to remember :)  

I've watched the video footage of other members crossing that ridge maybe 50 times in slo-mo to see what i did wrong there and how i can avoid it in the future. In my case i was riding the ridge but starting to loosen the throttle to slowly come down off the dune, but i lost momentum and in a last effort to win back momentum and pushing the gas, the car straightened itself again, ending up sitting perfectly straight on the top of the dune.

Big thumbs up to @G.huz in the Pathfinder in front of me. He did not seem to break a sweat following @Rahimdad

Another big thumbs up to @Brette who struggled a bit initially but never lost his smile and positive attitude !

And thanks to @Gaurav for breaking in my new clutch and engine 😂. I should put a stamp on it called "Offroad Approved by Carnity's Gaurav".

See you guys next Friday !

hahahaha... thanks man, for the kind words, and thanks the great company.

i must say, despite the stucks, the drive was awesome, the dunes were wicked, i would do it again with a heartbeat.

hats off to @Brette, i couldn't say it better, so true... thanks for being positive man 👍 i need to learn that from you.

it was a lovely drive indeed, thanks everyone 👍

Edited by G.huz
  • Like (+1) 3

@Srikumar great trip report buddy, whatever takes you back and remember the drive and company is really worth the time spent.

@Frederic I'm a big fan of your write ups, you make it light hearted and get the message across.

@G.huz love your enthusisam and willingness to grow. Your kind words are also highly appreciated.

• Thanks (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

@Frederic I think by the end of the drive you were head to toe in sand 😂

Yes.... and i wouldn't want it any other way... :) 

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thank you Marshals and @Srikumar for this drive. I must say it was good and got better towards the very end especially that last bit in the night. 

Here is a quick video done by me. YouTube Video

• Like (+1) 6

10 hours ago, Frederic said:

I have also learned the clutch hard way by smelling a lot in my Patrol days, but thankfully I never burnt.

The stamp should cost you more Belgian chocolates, than being kanjoos with Ferrero Rocher.

• Haha (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

32 minutes ago, Jocreative said:

Thank you Marshals and @Srikumar for this drive. I must say it was good and got better towards the very end especially that last bit in the night. 

Here is a quick video done by me. YouTube Video

nice camera 👍 i was waiting for some action though

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use