•  
Advertise here

Need Advice - 2014 Pajero GLS-MID

Dear Members,

I recently bought a used Pajero GLS 3.5 Litre - Mid option - 2014 model in AUH . It currently has 116,000 mileage overall. 

It has been fairly maintained,  I was told by the seller that he only did 'Major' service at Habtoor's and the last one was at 100K mark and the rest at ADNOC, however, he was not able to provide any job-card/invoice but also said that you can check with Habtoor and they will have the record. 

I received the car on Thursday and over the weekend i did the following: 

1. Changed the engine oil as it needed an immediate fix- visited First-Stop (Al Masaood/ADNOC) and they used Total Quartz - FS - 5W-30 grade. 

2. Changed the tyres as i was getting a lot of feedback noise and tyres were starting to show cracks. - Changed to Yokohama Geolandar 265-70 R16. I got them for AED 1430 for a set of 4 at Al -Fatah tyres. Now i am being told that the tyres may be fake. (Please advise if you have any idea on this.) (I was told by Al-Fatah that these are under offer),  i checked with Juma-Al-Majid (official partner in UAE for Yokohama) and they quoted AED 1890 for those same tyres.  

My queries: 

1. What oil grade is used in UAE for Pajero and which brand is best outside of Al-Habtoor? (i am leaning towards Mobil1), service station guys say that 5w-30 will suffice even in summers, but looking at a the UAE temperatures, i suspect it should be atleast 5W/10W - 40. 

2. Regarding tyres, did anyone have similar experience and/or have a comment?

3. What should be the next 'Major Service' point, KMS wise?

4. What is included in Major, minor & regular service? (Habtoor is currently offering a package of AED4500 for 1 major, 1 Minor & 2 regular with 1 set of brake pads free)

Would really appreciate if anyone can shed some light on the above. 

Edited by Sunit
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sunit said:

Dear Members,

I recently bought a used Pajero GLS 3.5 Litre - Mid option - 2014 model in AUH . It currently has 116,000 mileage overall. 

It has been fairly maintained,  I was told by the seller that he only did 'Major' service at Habtoor's and the last one was at 100K mark and the rest at ADNOC, however, he was not able to provide any job-card/invoice but also said that you can check with Habtoor and they will have the record. 

I received the car on Thursday and over the weekend i did the following: 

1. Changed the engine oil as it needed an immediate fix- visited First-Stop (Al Masaood/ADNOC) and they used Total Quartz - FS - 5W-30 grade. 

2. Changed the tyres as i was getting a lot of feedback noise and tyres were starting to show cracks. - Changed to Yokohama Geolandar 265-70 R16. I got them for AED 1430 for a set of 4 at Al -Fatah tyres. Now i am being told that the tyres may be fake. (Please advise if you have any idea on this.) (I was told by Al-Fatah that these are under offer),  i checked with Juma-Al-Majid (official partner in UAE for Yokohama) and they quoted AED 1890 for those same tyres.  

My queries: 

1. What oil grade is used in UAE for Pajero and which brand is best outside of Al-Habtoor? (i am leaning towards Mobil1), service station guys say that 5w-30 will suffice even in summers, but looking at a the UAE temperatures, i suspect it should be atleast 5W/10W - 40. 

2. Regarding tyres, did anyone have similar experience and/or have a comment?

3. What should be the next 'Major Service' point, KMS wise?

4. What is included in Major, minor & regular service? (Habtoor is currently offering a package of AED4500 for 1 major, 1 Minor & 2 regular with 1 set of brake pads free)

Would really appreciate if anyone can shed some light on the above. 

Hi Sunit, welcome to the forum and congrats with your Pajero !

Regarding your queries:

1) Yes, Mobil1 is a really good brand, @Gaurav his car runs on it. Not sure where you can buy it here in UAE. I have asked the same question to quite a few workshops and they all seem to have their own preference based on what they have available and the type of car.  Have a look at the attached SAE grade range. 

2) I bought Geolandar 265/70/16 about 6 months back and paid closer to 2000 i think, ill check my invoices and update you. I don't have the impression my tyres are fake but how to define this is the million dollar question. What matters is the fabrication date stamped on the tyres. Some shops try to get rid of their older batches of tyres at lower prices.

3) Have a look at the attached Pajero maintenance schedule. 

4) I am not sure what the Habtoor guys do in every minor or major schedule. This might depend on the car history. If you just bought it and don't have enough reliable service information on what was done before, i would recommend bringing it do a decent workshop and going for a 25,000 service to remove any doubts you might have and let them inspect all belts while they are at it.

1235363945_Pajeromaint.JPG.ce041d2d51a1774dea65de9a11c4a7fe.JPG

SAE grades.JPG

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Hi Sunit, welcome aboard

I'm using Mobil1 for 8 years in my Pajero for extreme offroad conditions and it never failed. I tried many brands and in end, I love the Mobil 1 quality and expertise.

You can get Mobil 1 in Dubai from any Grand Service Center or there is Mobil 1 quick lube in Sharjah Industrial Area 8 near tire market. Sharjah is a tad cheaper than Dubai.

I also would like to know how you have a feeling of fake geolanders, UAE seems quite strict in counterfeit products so will be interesting to know how to find a fake geolanders. If it's based on price judgment only, then it won't be fair as every retailer has a different markup and you can't say that 600/piece is original than 400/piece. I bought my last set in 2017 for 450/piece for 5 tires I paid 2250 with fitting and balancing.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I recently got my Geolandaers for AED 475/- per piece, but manufactured 6 months back, some tire shops have them lying around longer, so a tire produced a year back will cost slightly cheaper than one that has been produced 6 months back. Have not come across fake tires, just Chinese ones.

• Like (+1) 2

Well if it's a fully synthetic then you are good for 10K kms, if its semi (5K) and mineral (3K) for normal road usage.

If you are regularly driving offroad every week then change fully synthetic at 5-6K max for a better life of an engine.

I'm using fully synthetic 0W40 from Mobil 1 and changing every 5K kms (2-3 months time), as my Pajero is only used for offroading.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

On 3/17/2019 at 5:08 PM, Frederic said:

Hi Sunit, welcome to the forum and congrats with your Pajero !

Regarding your queries:

1) Yes, Mobil1 is a really good brand, @Gaurav his car runs on it. Not sure where you can buy it here in UAE. I have asked the same question to quite a few workshops and they all seem to have their own preference based on what they have available and the type of car.  Have a look at the attached SAE grade range. 

2) I bought Geolandar 265/70/16 about 6 months back and paid closer to 2000 i think, ill check my invoices and update you. I don't have the impression my tyres are fake but how to define this is the million dollar question. What matters is the fabrication date stamped on the tyres. Some shops try to get rid of their older batches of tyres at lower prices.

3) Have a look at the attached Pajero maintenance schedule. 

4) I am not sure what the Habtoor guys do in every minor or major schedule. This might depend on the car history. If you just bought it and don't have enough reliable service information on what was done before, i would recommend bringing it do a decent workshop and going for a 25,000 service to remove any doubts you might have and let them inspect all belts while they are at it.

1235363945_Pajeromaint.JPG.ce041d2d51a1774dea65de9a11c4a7fe.JPG

SAE grades.JPG

Thank you Frederic. After reading the comments, i will go with Mobil1 0W-40, Souk is selling 4LTR for AED 185, would need another litre i believe. 

I don't believe the tyres are fake, it seems legit. the date stamp is 482018 which means its manufactured almost towards the end of 2018.  Thanks  a lot for the schedule. 

9 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Hi Sunit, welcome aboard

I'm using Mobil1 for 8 years in my Pajero for extreme offroad conditions and it never failed. I tried many brands and in end, I love the Mobil 1 quality and expertise.

You can get Mobil 1 in Dubai from any Grand Service Center or there is Mobil 1 quick lube in Sharjah Industrial Area 8 near tire market. Sharjah is a tad cheaper than Dubai.

I also would like to know how you have a feeling of fake geolanders, UAE seems quite strict in counterfeit products so will be interesting to know how to find a fake geolanders. If it's based on price judgment only, then it won't be fair as every retailer has a different markup and you can't say that 600/piece is original than 400/piece. I bought my last set in 2017 for 450/piece for 5 tires I paid 2250 with fitting and balancing.

Hi Gaurav, thank you, Mobil1 it is, will change to it starting next interval at 5K itself on the current one. 

Regarding tyres. i do not feel they are fake, i was actually given the impression, and yes, the person was basing his reasoning solely on the price. 

I too believe that that UAE market is fairly reliable unless you are visiting some really shady stores. This particular tyre shop has given me a stamped bill and moreover,  i did do some visual check and they seemed legit. It has the date stamp and no spelling mistakes :D the exact tyre range is GEOLANDAR H/T G056 P265/70R16. I think it was stock clearance and hence priced that low.   

9 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

I recently got my Geolandaers for AED 475/- per piece, but manufactured 6 months back, some tire shops have them lying around longer, so a tire produced a year back will cost slightly cheaper than one that has been produced 6 months back. Have not come across fake tires, just Chinese ones.

Thanks Rahimdad, yes, i believe that is the case here as well. 

8 hours ago, Pajero_Mo said:

Do you plan on changing oil every 5k or 10k?  5W30 doesn't sounds right.

I would use 10W40 for 10k changes. If anyone has more knowledge about this please correct me if I'm wrong.

I plan to change a 10K oil at 8K interval. Exactly, 30 doesn't sound right, but the person was very confident and even said we put this in Patrol's and Land Cruiser's 😮 personally, i will yet go with a 40  grade since this number should be closer to the max temperature of the area that the car is driven and considering UAE temperatures that can go upto 50 deg. C, a 40 oil can handle it but 30 will most definitely suffer and would adversely affect the engine (correct me if i am wrong). 

• Like (+1) 4

Hi @Sunit

To add re: servicing, since you are at 116k kms, your next major service should be done @ 120k kms. Habtoor estimated for me costs of approx Dhs 2600 for this service. I've asked a couple of garages and all have provided me a quote ranging from Dhs 1400 - 1700 for the same job. 

Also, did you check with the previous owner if he has already changed the timing belt and spark plugs? These are supposed to be done @ 100k kms. You'll need to check with Habtoor since he's claiming to have done the 100K service there. Because if not done yet, then you are looking at another Dhs 2-3k to spend, depending on which garage you'll get this done (Habtoor is not an option, unless you have an extra Dhs 4-5k burning a hole in your pocket...).

• Like (+1) 2