•  
Advertise here

Thermostat

I'm from the controversial school of thought that thermostats are absolutely a total waste in these climates and cause more problems than they prevent. I've run all my cars without thermostats even the ones people said are too complicated and would explode even if I cranked them without one.

As for your OP look at the rating rather than model of thermostat. The lower the number the thermostat opens on the better in these parts. 

• Like (+1) 2

Removing thermostat doesn't offer optimum cooling in peak summer as coolant need to stay inside the radiator for a while to get adequate cooling. Constant circulating coolant will not get cooled very well. Go with thermostat that opens at 76 / 78 degree I guess instead of 90 degrees for cold weather.

I have said this before and I will say it again. If your cooling system has a problem, find it and fix it. Removing the thermostat is a bodge that uae mechanics do when they can’t find the cause of the problem. No offence intended @desertdude but it’s a hack job done by people who don’t understand how a cooling system works. Same as people bypassing the interior heater matrix pipes. Why? Other than being a cheap ass? I don’t know about other people but I like to have all the systems on my car working. The manufacturer designed it that way for a reason. If you want to trust some shitty rashidiya or Sharjah mechanic then go ahead. 

• Like (+1) 2

FYI : I never remove the stat due to any heating issues. Its just one of the things I do. And I do understand the argument about backpressure in the cooling system. The reason given it needs to be in the rad for a certain amount of time to cool. But when the stat opens.its free flowing with minimal resistance from the open stat.

Also in this region it's totally reasonable and understandable for one not wanting to fork out big $$$ to have the dash ripped out just so he can regain functionality over something he might use maybe once or twice in a year for an hour or so. 

It's like spending big $$$$$ to fix your AC while living in the artic circle. Just in case one day in summer the temp might come close to 27C 

Put up a poll here and see how many are willing to spend around 2-2.5k to fix their heaters on their beater off roaders or older daily driver vs 100-200dhs to bypass the system.