•  
Advertise here

Tyre pop out - reasons, tools required & how to fix it?

8 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Here is the easiest, fastest and safest way to fix a tyre pop out in less than 5 minutes:

Tools required:

1. Wooden plank/Jack board/plate
  2. Hydraulic Scissors Jack
  3. Air Compressor
  4. Shovel
  5. Water

Steps involved:

1. Move the vehicle "VERY SLOWLY" to flat ground. If you do it fast, then the inner (behind the tire) seam will also come out and make the pop out repair more difficult and sometimes impossible.

2. Find a good jacking point and place a big wooden plank just under it - on perfectly flat ground. You can move the board a few times to flatten the sand so that jack sits on the flat ground.

image.png

3. Place the jack on the board safely and lift the jack, just enough to regain the tire shape and then dig little under the tire. If you lift too much, then chances of tipping the jack are higher.

image.png

image.png

4. Clean the open seam properly with water, run the fingers inside to make sure no sand is sticking inside the tire as that will leak the air while inflating.

image.png

5. Inflate the tire with the air compressor and hold the open seam outward with little strength. Don't shake or use too much strength as jack might tip. When seam starts sitting in place, you will hear a loud/soft pop that means tire seam has been properly seated in its place and you can drive back normal.

image.png

SAFETY WARNINGS:

1. If you have a jack stand, use it under the axle. If you have a spare jack use it under the axle for safety.
  2. While the vehicle is lifted with jack, avoid any jittery move like slamming the door, closing the hood, getting in or out the car, this might cause jack to tip and cause serious injuries.
  3. While the vehicle is lifted with jack, NEVER EVER put your head, hand, legs or any body part under the car or under the tire. You can fix the tire from the side as shown in the picture above.

Wow. 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Gaurav said:

The 16-inch tire is better for offroading, but 17 inch is also not too bad. You can upgrade to an inch height more to get more rubber and a bigger footprint in 17 inches. I had 17 on my LC and with Michelin if perform really well.

Yokohama Geolander and Michelin are my two favorite brands. Geolander gives you best for offroading for rocks and sand with minimal road noise. Michelin will give you best in the sand (not much on rocks) with no road noise.

Instead of wasting money on downsizing rim, you can look into lifting the car by 2 inches either by offroad suspension or by a spacer (separate topic to discuss).

Yokohama Geolander At3 G012 or G015 ? 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Here is the easiest, fastest and safest way to fix a tyre pop out in less than 5 minutes:

Tools required:

1. Wooden plank/Jack board/plate
  2. Hydraulic Scissors Jack
  3. Air Compressor
  4. Shovel
  5. Water

Steps involved:

1. Move the vehicle "VERY SLOWLY" to flat ground. If you do it fast, then the inner (behind the tire) seam will also come out and make the pop out repair more difficult and sometimes impossible.

2. Find a good jacking point and place a big wooden plank just under it - on perfectly flat ground. You can move the board a few times to flatten the sand so that jack sits on the flat ground.

image.png

3. Place the jack on the board safely and lift the jack, just enough to regain the tire shape and then dig little under the tire. If you lift too much, then chances of tipping the jack are higher.

image.png

image.png

4. Clean the open seam properly with water, run the fingers inside to make sure no sand is sticking inside the tire as that will leak the air while inflating.

image.png

5. Inflate the tire with the air compressor and hold the open seam outward with little strength. Don't shake or use too much strength as jack might tip. When seam starts sitting in place, you will hear a loud/soft pop that means tire seam has been properly seated in its place and you can drive back normal.

image.png

SAFETY WARNINGS:

1. If you have a jack stand, use it under the axle. If you have a spare jack use it under the axle for safety.
  2. While the vehicle is lifted with jack, avoid any jittery move like slamming the door, closing the hood, getting in or out the car, this might cause jack to tip and cause serious injuries.
  3. While the vehicle is lifted with jack, NEVER EVER put your head, hand, legs or any body part under the car or under the tire. You can fix the tire from the side as shown in the picture above.

Fantastic write-up @Gaurav From Fewbie level and up this should be practiced. Maybe Carnity can setup a category called "HOW TO..." where all these write-ups are gathered ? It could become an essential knowledgebase for newbies and people who are interested in joining the club.

A few examples:

* HOW TO repair a pop-out

* HOW TO deflate properly

* HOW TO deactivate your ASC

* HOW TO follow convoy rules

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Fuad I don't think you'll be able to go down to 16 inches as the disc on the 17 inches is bigger and smaller rims don't fit. Correct me if I'm wrong @Srikumar. Coming down a sharp slope with your steering turned full on right or left and either brake or speed up and you could get a pop out even if you not deflated to the max.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

@Fuad I don't think you'll be able to go down to 16 inches as the disc on the 17 inches is bigger and smaller rims don't fit. Correct me if I'm wrong @Srikumar. Coming down a sharp slope with your steering turned full on right or left and either brake or speed up and you could get a pop out even if you not deflated to the max.

The issue is mainly with the 3.8 litre version as they have bigger disc brakes on the front wheel, and the smallest size that you can fit for them is 17 inch rim.

However, on the 3.5 version, the basic version does come with 16 inch rims. So there should not be a problem if Fuad decideds to reduce his rim size from 17 inch to 16 inch.

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 years later...

@PaoloMaraziti I have seen cases where the edge of the tire must be pulled to make it sit on the wheel beads. A set of tyre spoons/levers are useful in such situations.  

Depending on the reason for the pop-out, the rim may have bent air starts to leak through, making it a more challenging scenario.

• Like (+1) 1