•  
Advertise here

2nd Hand Pajero - Timing Belt

Dear All, thanks for letting join!

I am based in Abu Dhabi and I am about to buy my first car in the UAE which will be a Mitsubishi Pajero PETROL 3 door 2006. 

This was the second Pajero I looked at, and Overall I am happy with the car and Price. 

After a Test a drive, I arranged for it to go to a mechanic for inspection. He told me Overall it is in good condition for its age and should last a while (My aim is to have this car for 15-18 months). 

There are a few minor repairs which I will get done such as the coolant hose replacement and brake pads. 

The mechanic also recommended changing to the Timing belt and has detailed as follows:

Timing renewal, with parts and labour including water pump and thermostat - 3500 AED

I am wondering if 3500 AED is a fair price, as this is considerably more expensive than the cost in the UK for the same service. Can someone recommend another Garage which offers the service at a lower price, or is this a fiar price?

Regards

Lewis cocks

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, LewisCocks90 said:

Timing renewal, with parts and labour including water pump and thermostat - 3500 AED

It does seem high. Without the water pump it would cost in the region of AED 1500 - 1800. I got mine done recently. If you need to change some of the seals then it would cost a bit more.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s a good price for a professional garage. Especially including water pump and thermostat. That’s what I would charge. 

If you want to go to one of the back street garages you could probably get it done for 2,000-2,500. But in reality, paying an extra £100-150 to someone who knows what they are doing is worth it. It’s a twice in a lifetime thing. 

• Like (+1) 2

Carnity forum has shown in the past on how some of these so called professional garages are the biggest rip off. They offer all the bling but no honesty in their work.

So more than mentioning a professional or a back street garage, it's better to try and find a honest mechanic even if he works in a big workshop or is a one man show.

Also, some of the back street garages exist for a reason, the fact that many people in this country can't afford to pay AED 3500 for a timing belt change, which is me included.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/28/2019 at 7:57 PM, Barry said:

It’s a good price for a professional garage. Especially including water pump and thermostat. That’s what I would charge. 

If you want to go to one of the back street garages you could probably get it done for 2,000-2,500. But in reality, paying an extra £100-150 to someone who knows what they are doing is worth it. It’s a twice in a lifetime thing. 

From the Mouth of Pajero Doctor himself.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:22 PM, Srikumar said:

Carnity forum has shown in the past on how some of these so called professional garages are the biggest rip off. They offer all the bling but no honesty in their work.

So more than mentioning a professional or a back street garage, it's better to try and find a honest mechanic even if he works in a big workshop or is a one man show.

Also, some of the back street garages exist for a reason, the fact that many people in this country can't afford to pay AED 3500 for a timing belt change, which is me included.

That hurts. I’ve worked in small garages and I’ve worked in big garages. I’ve charged small prices and I’ve charged big prices but I’ve never ripped anyone off. Price directly relates to the overheads of the garage. Some guy operating out of a room in umm ramool will have small overheads. But some guy operating out of a bigger garage will have bigger overheads. 

Then you have to remember, most of the guys operating out of smaller garages buy their own visa and work in a shop they can afford to work in. They have no formal training and guess which bolts to screw and unscrew. Even google can’t help these guys.

In bigger shops, where people are actually hired for their knowledge, experience and training. So they get paid more. That’s why it costs more. 

If you want knowledge and experience, it costs money. If you want some guy to do it cheap and say ok ok I know, you get what you pay for. 

Maybe it will go well, maybe it won’t. I know I’d rather have a trained technician working on my car than some helper that changed a set of brake pads and decided he’s a mechanic now. 

On 3/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, LewisCocks90 said:

Dear All, thanks for letting join!

I am based in Abu Dhabi and I am about to buy my first car in the UAE which will be a Mitsubishi Pajero PETROL 3 door 2006. 

This was the second Pajero I looked at, and Overall I am happy with the car and Price. 

After a Test a drive, I arranged for it to go to a mechanic for inspection. He told me Overall it is in good condition for its age and should last a while (My aim is to have this car for 15-18 months). 

There are a few minor repairs which I will get done such as the coolant hose replacement and brake pads. 

The mechanic also recommended changing to the Timing belt and has detailed as follows:

I am wondering if 3500 AED is a fair price, as this is considerably more expensive than the cost in the UK for the same service. Can someone recommend another Garage which offers the service at a lower price, or is this a fiar price?

Regards

Lewis cocks

Lewis, i was also advised to replace the timing belt assembly by Habtoor service and a rough estimate of it they gave me was around AED 5000, since this is not something very immediate for me, i thought of checking the parts price and attached is a quote i got just today from Best Auto Parts in Mussafah. Comes to around 1700 (mind you, it has brake pads & RH upper arm + upper arm (which i did not understand) and also, it  does not include the thermostat price). For garage, check out New Bombay Workshop - Bosch Service in Mussafah. They are not cheap but relatively cheaper i suppose and seem to be well equipped. I have personally not serviced my car there (yet) but been there twice for work on friend's car and found them decent. 

best auto.jpg

Edited by Sunit