•  
Advertise here

Best Tyres for Pajero

I like to keep it short but seeing different responses, it will get a little bigger.

US sites are good to get the specs data like weight and road noise, but over 50% of those tires don't exist in UAE at least the same pattern and design. So they are only useful once you zero down to 2-3 exact pattern, brand, and types and then research to compare.

These days I have been seeing ESMA sticker on every tire in UAE to tell the road noise and other specs, that you can use to compare wisely as those standardizations is done in UAE for tires available here.

All online tire selling website is at least 100 per tire expensive than the dealers in sharjah tire market. Once you decide what you want, call a few tires shop in Sharjah and get the latest production tire from the cheapest of the shop. You will save at least 400-500 dhs. I'm buying tires from those shops for 15 years and always walk away with the best deal.

Future tyre "WAS" good place to go in Ras Al Khor, but as per my and few of my friend's recent experience, they have been overcharging by 200% so I no longer recommend them but no doubt they are professionals.

Coming to the tire choices now:

• Michelin's are my all time favorite, I have used them twice Michelin LTX and Michelin Pilot, both were amazing. LTX used to be A/T tread and very good for sand offroad being soft and lighter and very quiet on road. Michelin rubber is really superior grade but not very advisable if you venturing too much in wadi's as after a little you might cut that soft rubber with stones very easily. @Emmanuel using Michelin Primacy (If I rem correctly) and he can advise more on that specific brand and type.

• Yokohama Geolander A/T is my current favorite choice as Yoko's have finally figured out the best of three combinations: Road + Sand + Rocks with minimal of road noise, rem I said minimal and not no noise. Any A/T tire will be loud as hell on road due to the tread pattern to be aggressive for offroad and hence result in more road noise. So this trade-off is inevitable if you like one tire to fit both your needs. I'm using G012 version since last 6 years, as my second set running since last two years and they wear evenly too to get you some good miles on them, unlike many other A/T tires which start losing chunks and pieces after the first year of usage.

• BF Goodrich, has the amazing offroad capabilities but quite heavy and will limit your offroad capability if you are running on the stock engine without any power mods. Secondly, they are quite noisy on the road since I used them last but again someone I met recently said they are not noisy any longer. Either that guy had loud music system or BFG have really changed on road noise, I don't know tbh.

• Bridgestone dueler and Dunlop Grandtrek is good road tread and not good for regular offroad especially in wadis and rock you might damage them with regular wadi's run. In sand, if you deflate them under 15 PSI, you might pop out them very easily. I have used them both on my Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrol and labeled as king of pop out on every drive.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thanks Gaurav for the great thread. 

I have to say, reading so much details and researching on my own as well on tyre care, I'm probably lucky my Toyo U/T tires lasted as long as they did (about 60k km, tho started making noises after 50k) as I'm a n00b on tyre care. I have a feeling no service company had rotated my tires. Although I'm not a major off roader, I do like to go off roading once in a month or two. Have taken my car to Liwa, Maleha, Sweihan, the desert on the way to Al Ain (Sweihan again maybe?), drove to Salalah and back with lots of off roading, Jebel Shams cross-mountain driving searching for wadis, Wadi Arbayeen, Musandam mountains, Wadi Shawka etc. So maybe i'm really lucky my current tyres lasted this long, tho last weekend's Musandam off roading was probably too much for them as one got punctured :D 

This time, I definitely want to buy the right tires and thank great carnity members for such helpful comments! My mind is tilting towards Yokohama Geolandar. Just need to decide between H/T and ATS. If I could get some specific advice on H/T vs ATS, would love it. 

Once again, thanks all! This is one heck of a forum

• Like (+1) 2

ATS are better for offroad, HT stands for highway tread means it will  be quite on road but not advisable for regular offroad use due to straight tread pattern and softer (probably 4 ply) side wall than the 6 or 8 ply for offroad tires.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Gaurav said:

I like to keep it short but seeing different responses, it will get a little bigger.

US sites are good to get the specs data like weight and road noise, but over 50% of those tires don't exist in UAE at least the same pattern and design. So they are only useful once you zero down to 2-3 exact pattern, brand, and types and then research to compare.

These days I have been seeing ESMA sticker on every tire in UAE to tell the road noise and other specs, that you can use to compare wisely as those standardizations is done in UAE for tires available here.

All online tire selling website is at least 100 per tire expensive than the dealers in sharjah tire market. Once you decide what you want, call a few tires shop in Sharjah and get the latest production tire from the cheapest of the shop. You will save at least 400-500 dhs. I'm buying tires from those shops for 15 years and always walk away with the best deal.

Future tyre "WAS" good place to go in Ras Al Khor, but as per my and few of my friend's recent experience, they have been overcharging by 200% so I no longer recommend them but no doubt they are professionals.

Coming to the tire choices now:

• Michelin's are my all time favorite, I have used them twice Michelin LTX and Michelin Pilot, both were amazing. LTX used to be A/T tread and very good for sand offroad being soft and lighter and very quiet on road. Michelin rubber is really superior grade but not very advisable if you venturing too much in wadi's as after a little you might cut that soft rubber with stones very easily. @Emmanuel using Michelin Primacy (If I rem correctly) and he can advise more on that specific brand and type.

•  Yokohama Geolander A/T is my current favorite choice as Yoko's have finally figured out the best of three combinations: Road + Sand + Rocks with minimal of road noise, rem I said minimal and not no noise. Any A/T tire will be loud as hell on road due to the tread pattern to be aggressive for offroad and hence result in more road noise. So this trade-off is inevitable if you like one tire to fit both your needs. I'm using G012 version since last 6 years, as my second set running since last two years and they wear evenly too to get you some good miles on them, unlike many other A/T tires which start losing chunks and pieces after the first year of usage.

• BF Goodrich, has the amazing offroad capabilities but quite heavy and will limit your offroad capability if you are running on the stock engine without any power mods. Secondly, they are quite noisy on the road since I used them last but again someone I met recently said they are not noisy any longer. Either that guy had loud music system or BFG have really changed on road noise, I don't know tbh.

• Bridgestone dueler and Dunlop Grandtrek is good road tread and not good for regular offroad especially in wadis and rock you might damage them with regular wadi's run. In sand, if you deflate them under 15 PSI, you might pop out them very easily. I have used them both on my Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrol and labeled as king of pop out on every drive.

@Gaurav bhai, my beast is wearing kumho. it is 2018 manufacturing. Can you please shed some light on them in terms of their reliability / usage on road & off road also on road noise.

• Like (+1) 1

I did check fuel efficiency for Yokohama Geolandar H/T and apparently it does enable lesser road resistance so I'm assuming that should be good. Can I assume ATS would not be fuel efficient due to overall aggressive tread pattern which I'm guessing would cause more road resistance? However, as long as difference in minimal it shouldn't be a big concern for me. 

Pajero is anyway noisier than other SUVs so I guess I can deal with minimal noise of the ATS as long as it doesn't become this god awful vibration noise that's making me go mad with my worn out Toyo U/T tires haha. 

• Like (+1) 1

Noise and fuel saving in Geolander's are minimal and not too extreme, unlike other aggressive tread pattern tires.

@syedyaseer I have never used Kumho.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Noise and fuel saving in Geolander's are minimal and not too extreme, unlike other aggressive tread pattern tires.

@syedyaseer I have never used Kumho.

Noted 

• Like (+1) 1

@syedyaseer I'm using to Kumho Solus KL21 on my Mitsubishi Pajeo. These are very quiet even after 60k kilometers and still have thread left on them for maybe another 20k kilometers. I have hardly used them off road twice for only a little bit during 2 of our new year drives so can't comment much. But they managed well without deflation even in really soft sand and I'm happy with their performance. I will be posting a user review for them shortly.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Rahimdad said:

@syedyaseer I'm using to Kumho Solus KL21 on my Mitsubishi Pajeo. These are very quiet even after 60k kilometers and still have thread left on them for maybe another 20k kilometers. I have hardly used them off road twice for only a little bit during 2 of our new year drives so can't comment much. But they managed well without deflation even in really soft sand and I'm happy with their performance. I will be posting a user review for them shortly.

Will wait for review sir. 

• Like (+1) 1