•  
Advertise here

Will all the tire treads what about size?

There is a lot of question what is the best tire out there for off and on road to use all day and all night for business and for fun.

So what about the best tire and rim size to go for for the best overall performance? less rim and more tire is better off road but you want to be able to go around a corned on-road without tipping over.

Im running 265/60R18 which for my car is the middle ground there is a 17 inch option and a 20 inch option, the 17 wuld be better offroad as it will be more tire but risk of being squishy onroad.

Or am i way off here? What are you guys running?

Is there a measure for stiffer sidewall, as with a stiff sidewall you can have a taller tire and not be squishy?

/Per

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Per A said:

There is a lot of question what is the best tire out there for off and on road to use all day and all night for business and for fun.

So what about the best tire and rim size to go for for the best overall performance? less rim and more tire is better off road but you want to be able to go around a corned on-road without tipping over.

Im running 265/60R18 which for my car is the middle ground there is a 17 inch option and a 20 inch option, the 17 wuld be better offroad as it will be more tire but risk of being squishy onroad.

Or am i way off here? What are you guys running?

Is there a measure for stiffer sidewall, as with a stiff sidewall you can have a taller tire and not be squishy?

/Per

Offroad: Yes like you say less rim and more tyre will give you more of a dampening effect. On the other hand, bigger rims will increase your ground clearance a bit so that can also help out when offroading.  16-18inch would be OK for offroad but i would not recommend 20 inches as i don't see the immediate need for that and it only drains your wallet faster. PS i am not talking about rock-crawling activities where those guys put on these monster tyres. I am talking about offroading in UAE deserts.

Onroad: Again 16-18 inch is perfectly fine and should not feel squishy or spongy if it's a good quality tyre and properly inflated. A 20 inch on a Pajero ? Not really my thing to be honest as it defeats the purpose of having a car like a Pajero that is a good blend of onroad and offroad behavior. Do mind that going to 20" will offset your speedometer too, let alone the cost the cost of tyres.

I think that some tyres will have a stiffer sidewall, but i have no idea if there is a measure for that. I drive a Pajero 3.8 myself and imho it corners like a 40ton truck. Not sure if my tyres are responsible for that (18' Kumho) or if there is an underlaying problem (i need to get my mechanic to have a look at it on the next service). I came from a beemer 3-series that cornered like a razor knife so it could be my imagination :) 

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thanks @Frederic for that reply.

IF in changing im going to 17 and a wider taller tire to stay at the same rolling offset but it will affect onroad handling i think.

And i have the same issue cornering a 40 ton truck is a good comparison, i thinks it "built on" to it im afraid :D  we came from the same car :D also a 3 series BMW and before that a lowered Corolla T-sport that cornered like it was on rails. so its habit i think...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Per A said:

Thanks @Frederic for that reply.

IF in changing im going to 17 and a wider taller tire to stay at the same rolling offset but it will affect onroad handling i think.

And i have the same issue cornering a 40 ton truck is a good comparison, i thinks it "built on" to it im afraid :D  we came from the same car :D also a 3 series BMW and before that a lowered Corolla T-sport that cornered like it was on rails. so its habit i think...

I'll be visiting the workshop on my next due inspection and get them to inspect the full suspension setup. I heard some but not all Pajero's had some issues with this. But in any case this car is not made to corner perfectly. 

Stick with your 18's if they came with the car and look for a good tyre when due for replacement. Many people including me swear with the Yokohama Geolander AT-S here and they perform very good offroad and decent onroad with not too much road noise.

• Like (+1) 2

For offroading the smaller the rim with bigger tyre wall, it will be better as when you deflate you get a longer contact point than with a bigger rim. So that results in better flotation. So a 15 inch will be better than a 16 inch rim and a 16 inch rim will b better than a 17 inch rim and so on

The most common rim for offroading is 16 inch as they are easily available in comparison to a 15 inch rim. 

Regarding the point of ground clearance after Tyre deflation, there will be a half inch difference between a 16 inch vs 15 inch rim. But the longer contact point will offset that slightly better ground clearance.

P.S. If you are driving a Pajero you should forget about cornering at high speeds. Then you have just bought the wrong car

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

One more point, if you are driving the 3.8 version the smallest rim size that would fit is the 17 inch rim die to the larger front disc brakes

and i have 18 inch today so i dont know how big change it would be maybe better to try and find if possible a wider tire than the 265 i have today.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Per A said:

and i have 18 inch today so i dont know how big change it would be maybe better to try and find if possible a wider tire than the 265 i have today.

Don’t increase tyre width. It’s a recipe for disaster. Popouts will be there if you go off-road. 

With the same OEM rims I meant of course

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Without a proper lift bigger tire size will also cause rubbing issues which lead to other damages in the long run. My advise is to first try out your current setup and try to make the educated changes as needed.

• Like (+1) 1