•  

Every off road driver must know: why you get stuck?

Emmanuel

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see what our offroaders have to say for this stuck......?

You can post any of your stuck or someone else stuck or even youtube stuck to discuss and learn

• Like (+1) 7

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1. I think he had not enough momentum to go to the top of the dune
  2. There was a sand pocket that made him lost even more momentum I remember we could not even make it to the low part of the dune with the momentum we had
  3. I think that he hesitated to give more gas and steer right once the car sank 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Good input @Javier M and thanks for sharing the full-length video to get these little cuts for learning

Let's see what others have to say more......!

• Like (+1) 3

It looks as if he encountered one or two serious bumps on that ascend, which made him lose the momentum a bit. The sand indeed looks very soft.

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Looks like not many offroaders are interested here in knowing these secrets, as they are happy being stuck.

My observation: Everything that Fred and Javier's mention is true + when you are in lead you are bound to get these stuck as sometimes you step on deceiving looking sand, that looks hard from top but super soft from below. So as soon as you step on it, you will get stuck. Sometimes in such situation, only your early action of steering down/away can help to escape such stuck.

Emmanuel, please add your viewpoint as a driver in case we have missed any.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

I think you covered everything, well done. As you mentioned it was a very very soft patch (and again the sand was a bit wet underneath). I will just add one detail : as shown by @Javier M there was a fraction of second of hesitation when I saw the small pocket below on the right. It doesn’t appear clearly on the video, but it was a quite nasty one. I could have got stuck in an even worst way if I had felt in it from this angle.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Looks like not many offroaders are interested here in knowing these secrets, as they are happy being stuck.

Let’s see tomorrow 😂

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 1 year later...

lovely thread, too bad not many people are participating! i have a couple of videos i think from earlier that i can share here, even photos of stucks with my own car

hope it will bring the thread back to life

On 4/17/2019 at 1:44 PM, Gaurav said:

Let's see what our offroaders have to say for this stuck......?

You can post any of your stuck or someone else stuck or even youtube stuck to discuss and learn

my question will be, how to self recover from such stuck though? low gear and moving the steering in different directions did not work for example. what would be the next move? where to dig ? where to steer. it is a tricky angel and i feel a wrong recovery may flip the vehicle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

3 hours ago, MlHazim said:

lovely thread, too bad not many people are participating! i have a couple of videos i think from earlier that i can share here, even photos of stucks with my own car

hope it will bring the thread back to life

my question will be, how to self recover from such stuck though? low gear and moving the steering in different directions did not work for example. what would be the next move? where to dig ? where to steer. it is a tricky angel and i feel a wrong recovery may flip the vehicle. 

Glad to see your observations @MlHazim. This stuck is actually not that bad. In most scenarios you can turn your wheels towards gravity and in 4Lo with applying gentle blips crawl your way out. If unsuccessful then attach the recovery rope and gently pull the car downwards at the front. 
CD430788-341A-4080-B59D-503305C273E1.jpeg.30c8d5ebb1ac1ac03b63d64371d9fe80.jpegin above photo you see a recovery from last week where the car was also at a steep angle. We gently pulled the front of the car downwards and the driver steers completely left. With a gentle tug you can let gravity do the rest.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Important Information

Terms of use