•  

Every off road driver must know: why you get stuck?

Emmanuel

@MlHazim although I don't have pics or video but @Yousef Alimadadi can safely guide you how he crawled out of similar situation 3 weeks back. Needs lots of patience and correct amount of steering and throttle. If not possible due to any reason try to clear the wheels by digging and pulling from front or back as demonstrated by @Frederic. Never pull the car at 90degree angle.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

@MlHazim@Yousef Alimadadidemonstrated by @Frederic. Never pull the car at 90degree angle.

The pic shows a 90degree angle and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it if done correctly and with patience.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

42 minutes ago, desertdude said:

The pic shows a 90degree angle and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it if done correctly and with patience.

image.png.5476e5a950b94df365ceaa99d8043406.png

Not exactly 90 degrees, i intentionally  put my car slightly towards the vehicle to be recovered. In this case because i was standing on a steep incline, and his car was already pointing downwards, i hardly had to pull him. It was more like a gentle tow (not tug), and as soon as the started to move he could point the wheels downwards.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Rahimdad, Actually, without your help and guides was not possible to came-out from that situation. also I was calm and listening carefully for your clear instruction.

5 to 6 times full left and right to remove the sands and change the mode from 4H to 4LLC and putting on Diff lock option did the magic and the car smoothly came out from that situation. of course it was a really challenging time and was not easy to handle it but in the end it is done perfectly.

I think that moment was captured by someone from the team and will be good idea if share it here for learning purpose. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

8 hours ago, Frederic said:

image.png.5476e5a950b94df365ceaa99d8043406.png

Not exactly 90 degrees, i intentionally  put my car slightly towards the vehicle to be recovered. In this case because i was standing on a steep incline, and his car was already pointing downwards, i hardly had to pull him. It was more like a gentle tow (not tug), and as soon as the started to move he could point the wheels downwards.

That's exactly what I said, absolutely nothing wrong with it if done correctly and with patience.

Actually I was surprised when I first started to drive with clubs to see this insistance of pulling straight ahead or back even when the terrain did not allow it or it was just much simpler and more safe to just give a slight pull from an angle.

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2019 at 2:29 PM, Emmanuel said:

Great team work, guys ! You have covered almost everything. 

@WiLfY you're absolutely right, as you can see on this footage (again sorry for the low quality of the video). The question is why I took my foot off the gas, and here, as pointed by @Rahimdad and @Fuad, it was my mistake : not leaving enough distance with @G.huz's car in front. What happened exactly at this point is that I hesitated to steer more left and accelerate. Seeing the heavy wet sand (the night and the morning before there had been heavy rain and haze, good point @Javier M), I was not sure to be able to climb on the left, and in this case a failure could have led me to slid down and then hit the Pathfinder. Last point, and here  @Gaurav is also right : after this stuck I had to bring down my tire pressure again. One hour earlier I had deflated to 12/12.5 psi, but with the heat (the temperature was high this afternoon), the gauge was now displaying 14. 

@Emmanuel great respect . I think what happened to me something similar As well but in slow pace . For me I had no choice as well either to accelerate and pass to his right and this was not a good idea or stir all left and down and also this was as well not possible . It’s a splint of a sec . Made final call to stuck my self 

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Mohamed Seidam said:

@Emmanuel great respect . I think what happened to me something similar As well but in slow pace . For me I had no choice as well either to accelerate and pass to his right and this was not a good idea or stir all left and down and also this was as well not possible . It’s a splint of a sec . Made final call to stuck my self 

Getting stuck is not a badge of shame. Too short distance from car in front is a key contributor - while this should be avoided, sometimes a sudden slowdown from the car in front (while you are concentrating on immediate terrain) is unavoidable. And getting stuck rather than try to pass on challenging terrain is the safe call. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Hi all desert wanderers

I found this by chance , I never sow before . Is it useful ? How safe ? 

What you think ? 

• Like (+1) 2

@Mohamed Seidam thank you for sharing. To sell their product they show you a car getting stuck on flat ground and then trying out this product. Ask yourself, how many times you get stuck on flat surface? Would you try this if you were on a slope? I don't think so. Pop-outs are also rare and once you get hang of the correct tire pressure hardly ever happen. Would you spend a handsome amount of money for flat surface pop-out solution or stick to something cheap and reliable? Another question is how reliable are electronics in the desert? Once sand goes in it you will need regular checking, clean up and repairs. I would not recommend such fancy products.

Secindly, this is brilliant to share, but with my experience the more you drive with certain people the more you understand the other persons style of driving. With more experience you'll learn to synchronize your driving with your fellow off roaders and these situations will hardly arise. Example, I can drive 200 kms in a day with the drivers I am used to over 3 years, but with 6 month old driver that goes down to about 60 or 70 kms tops. With new drivers I'm lucky to go 20 kms and cannot expect them to keep their concentration more than 3 hours. Sharing this material is really useful, but number of drives and experience goes a long way too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Important Information

Terms of use