•  
Advertise here

Do you really care which Motor Oil are you using for your thousands dirhams car?

After spending the number of years in this field, sometimes I really feel to ask you guys that do you really care which engine oil are you using and how its wrong selection can destroy your entire engine? Please share your views 

• Like (+1) 1

Am I being ignorant? After going thru your post i have realized that till date i have not asked my FNG Mechanics about the oil they used for my car/s till date. Is it a blind trust or am i being careless. I have been using A class garage (As per most of the UAE motor Insurer) every time I service my car. Except for the New car which was under service contract, i have not changed it. At the beginning only twice i used local petrol bunk lube services which i was not really satisfied then i moved over to my current garage.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Glanz Lube said:

After spending the number of years in this field, sometimes I really feel to ask you guys that do you really care which engine oil are you using and how its wrong selection can destroy your entire engine? Please share your views 

like my workshop guy recently mentioned to me:80% of the people do not know the difference between oils, let alone talking about SN grades. It also confuses me sometimes. I tend to put my faith and trust in the workshop and sometimes ask them which products they use and for what reason. I heard that most oil manufacturers need to abide by certain quality certifications, but again that is maybe something that is easy to bypass or not. 

I just stick with the timed intervals and most times get my oil change before it's due time. 

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Welcome, @Glanz Lube to Carnity and it's a very good opening topic you picked.

You should always stick to correct grade engine oil as mentioned in your car owners manual and also choose a well-trusted brand whose quality certifications meet and exceed minimum requirements.

I don't rem ever I handed my car keys to change oil without checking which brand and grade of oil those guys are using. I think more than 50% of garages in UAE uses an unheard brand of engine oil to markup good profit and the moment you ask can you get me Mobil 1 or Castrol, service price shoots up by double.

In today's competitive world price battle is pushing the quality down and if one garage can service 4 cylinder car in 200 dhs, then neighbour wants to beat down to 100 dhs by cutting the corner on the engine oil. In this price battle, the ultimate sufferer is the customer who thinks he walks away with a 100 dhs lesser deal, but eventually end up cooking his engine for the sake of 100 dhs without even knowing the difference between a good and bad quality engine oil.

Sadly some of the car dealers are even using such inferior brand of engine oil and when you ask which brand it is then they conceal with the car brand+oil name, sir it's original "car brand" oil - I heard it twice with two different car brands and ran away.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

Great topic. I try to use trusted brands for oil change also as per my car specs, but don't actually know the differences. Maybe you can explain @Glanz Lube.

Hi, thank you so much for your appreciation on topic. In fact, I remain ignorant on this for years on this topic then in one car which I did modification I faced a sound like gharrrr coming from the engine in cold start for few seconds like less than 3 to 4. when i

I came to know that the oil pump of the engine is not designed to pump thick oil which I am using on the recommendation of my mechanic so for few seconds engine has to run without full pumping of oil to all parts of the engine. which eventually destroying my engine. 

I have attached a simple chart to read the API specification of motor oil which must be used as per manufacturing year of engine. As of current models, we must use GF-5 Dexos-1 Gen 2 oil. I wonder if some local manufacturers are producing this specification of oil for your thousands of dirham cars? 

API Grades.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Welcome, @Glanz Lube to Carnity and it's a very good opening topic you picked.

You should always stick to correct grade engine oil as mentioned in your car owners manual and also choose a well-trusted brand whose quality certifications meet and exceed minimum requirements.

I don't rem ever I handed my car keys to change oil without checking which brand and grade of oil those guys are using. I think more than 50% of garages in UAE uses an unheard brand of engine oil to markup good profit and the moment you ask can you get me Mobil 1 or Castrol, service price shoots up by double.

In today's competitive world price battle is pushing the quality down and if one garage can service 4 cylinder car in 200 dhs, then neighbour wants to beat down to 100 dhs by cutting the corner on the engine oil. In this price battle, the ultimate sufferer is the customer who thinks he walks away with a 100 dhs lesser deal, but eventually end up cooking his engine for the sake of 100 dhs without even knowing the difference between a good and bad quality engine oil.

Sadly some of the car dealers are even using such inferior brand of engine oil and when you ask which brand it is then they conceal with the car brand+oil name, sir it's original "car brand" oil - I heard it twice with two different car brands and ran away.

Hi, thank you so much for your responses and sharing your experience on this topic. it is always good to know your engine of a car and what it needs and how we can use its optimum life with performance. Oil runs like blood in engine and Oil Filter act as the heart for the engine. My experience is that sometimes people really care about motor oil which they are using but don't think about oil filter which can also destroy the engine within a few thousands of kilometres. it is also recommended to know which oil filter we are going to use for our engine. normally the oil filters which are available in the market can run up to 5,000 km to 7,000 km which every oil manufacturing company gives the guideline to drain the oil and change the filter. every oil evaporates on a certain level of heat producing in the engine. some oils have a high temperature of evaporation and some have less. it can be seen which we keep on checking the oil level and it shows some less amount while checking on the dip stick. so in short we must know why we are paying 300 to 400 dirham against 100 dirhams and what benefits we are enjoying for it :)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, syedyaseer said:

Am I being ignorant? After going thru your post i have realized that till date i have not asked my FNG Mechanics about the oil they used for my car/s till date. Is it a blind trust or am i being careless. I have been using A class garage (As per most of the UAE motor Insurer) every time I service my car. Except for the New car which was under service contract, i have not changed it. At the beginning only twice i used local petrol bunk lube services which i was not really satisfied then i moved over to my current garage.

Hi, once I visited Toyota dealership and asked for their warranty card. while reading the details I pointed out that the engine manufacturer is clearing mentioning that use motor oil with specification 5W 30 SN then why are you referring your clients to use your labelled motor oil which is inferior to recommend one. which was I guess 5W 30 SM Semi-Synthetic. they had no answer and in the end, suggested me to talk with their management. so would you like to give your car on which you have spent thousands of dirhams and which is your asset to these business oriented people to run it for you? i guess no :)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Frederic said:

like my workshop guy recently mentioned to me:80% of the people do not know the difference between oils, let alone talking about SN grades. It also confuses me sometimes. I tend to put my faith and trust in the workshop and sometimes ask them which products they use and for what reason. I heard that most oil manufacturers need to abide by certain quality certifications, but again that is maybe something that is easy to bypass or not. 

I just stick with the timed intervals and most times get my oil change before it's due time. 

Hi, it is good to stick with timed intervals for oil drain. the oil game is not at all confusing. only we need to know a few basic which will help us in future to know which oil we are using and what results we can achieve from it. time intervals also depends on your oil filter quality or life. in motor oil some brands refers an oil drain up to 25,000 miles means 40,000 km which I also have experienced in my car but with recommended oil filters and to change oil filters after every 12,000 km. after changing oil filter you can top up the oil with same brand same specification which is already in engine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

In my last service that I got done with Mohsen (a guy @Barry recommended), he confirmed he was using fully synthetic oil for 10k interval service on Pajero if I remember correctly. Though I didn't check which brand is being used. 

I guess next time I should once again check my car manual, confirm exact specifications. Is brand also important then or as long as specifications are fine, we're good to go ? 

• Like (+1) 2