•  
Advertise here

Do you really care which Motor Oil are you using for your thousands dirhams car?

9 minutes ago, Glanz Lube said:

Hi, once I visited Toyota dealership and asked for their warranty card. while reading the details I pointed out that the engine manufacturer is clearing mentioning that use motor oil with specification 5W 30 SN then why are you referring your clients to use your labelled motor oil which is inferior to recommend one. which was I guess 5W 30 SM Semi-Synthetic. they had no answer and in the end, suggested me to talk with their management. so would you like to give your car on which you have spent thousands of dirhams and which is your asset to these business oriented people to run it for you? i guess no :)

During Manufacturing Toyota uses SAE 0W-20 it seems. They also recommend use of SAE 5W-30 engine oil if SAE 0W-20 is not available. (Source: Toyota User Manual).  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GumbyAKhan said:

In my last service that I got done with Mohsen (a guy @Barry recommended), he confirmed he was using fully synthetic oil for 10k interval service on Pajero if I remember correctly. Though I didn't check which brand is being used. 

I guess next time I should once again check my car manual, confirm exact specifications. Is brand also important then or as long as specifications are fine, we're good to go ? 

Hi, there are many manufacturers making full synthetic and the prices vary from 7 dirhams to 60 dirhams per litre :) guess the difference? I will open topics and knowledge base here so that members will know which brand or specifications they have to use. I will not advocate any brands as everyone is doing a great job. only you need to know which oil your engine manufacturer is recommending and only you have to use premium quality in that recommended specifications. ask your service guy about oil filters as well because a 5 dirham priced oil filter can damage your engine no matter you are using highly recommended oil. 

1 minute ago, syedyaseer said:

During Manufacturing Toyota uses SAE 0W-20 it seems. They also recommend use of SAE 5W-30 engine oil if SAE 0W-20 is not available. (Source: Toyota User Manual).  

0W 20 is the best oil, I am also using it. it is not because it is best oil but my engine manufacturer is asking me to use it. all American cars no matter these are Honda, Toyota etc 0W 20 is the recommended oil for them. while in GCC these manufacturers say that use 5W 30 because of some engine changes. however, try to use SN grade or SN Plus in these API

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Glanz Lube said:

Hi, there are many manufacturers making full synthetic and the prices vary from 7 dirhams to 60 dirhams per litre :) guess the difference? I will open topics and knowledge base here so that members will know which brand or specifications they have to use. I will not advocate any brands as everyone is doing a great job. only you need to know which oil your engine manufacturer is recommending and only you have to use premium quality in that recommended specifications. ask your service guy about oil filters as well because a 5 dirham priced oil filter can damage your engine no matter you are using highly recommended oil. 

0W 20 is the best oil, I am also using it. it is not because it is best oil but my engine manufacturer is asking me to use it. all American cars no matter these are Honda, Toyota etc 0W 20 is the recommended oil for them. while in GCC these manufacturers say that use 5W 30 because of some engine changes. however, try to use SN grade or SN Plus in these API

More specifically it is mentioned that SAE 0W-20 is recommended for cold weather. I assume that means SAE 5W-30 shall be used for UAE cars as the weather is not favourable for SAE OW-20? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, syedyaseer said:

More specifically it is mentioned that SAE 0W-20 is recommended for cold weather. I assume that means SAE 5W-30 shall be used for UAE cars as the weather is not favourable for SAE OW-20? 

Well, 0W 20 means at zero temperature the viscosity is 20 so you can't match both oils. both are completely different. 5W 30 SN you can make with group 2 and group 3 mix base oil whereas 0W 20 SN you can't make without group 5 base oil. the composition is completely different 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Glanz Lube said:

Well, 0W 20 means at zero temperature the viscosity is 20 so you can't match both oils. both are completely different. 5W 30 SN you can make with group 2 and group 3 mix base oil whereas 0W 20 SN you can't make without group 5 base oil. the composition is completely different 

@Glanz Lube As im not able to understand technical part of it, Could you please suggest/recommend which oil shall i use for my prado? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, syedyaseer said:

@Glanz Lube As im not able to understand technical part of it, Could you please suggest/recommend which oil shall i use for my prado? 

Ok, check the oil cap of the engine. On it, it must be mentioned which specification they recommend to use. Or you can open the manual book of the car and check which specification of oil they have recommended to use it. tell me that then I will be able to help you to find the best/ suitable oil for your car :)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Glanz Lube said:

Ok, check the oil cap of the engine. On it, it must be mentioned which specification they recommend to use. Or you can open the manual book of the car and check which specification of oil they have recommended to use it. tell me that then I will be able to help you to find the best/ suitable oil for your car :)

Noted. i will check and update you on this. Thank you very much.

• Like (+1) 2

So much wrong information on this thread that I just couldn't help myself! Believe me I tried ! 

The two ratings on the oil is basically the minimum viscosity the oil will maintain in a certain temperature range. Like for example 0W-20 ( The W stands for Winter ) and the other number, 20 in this case ,a good rule of thumb is that  20 that oil will maintain certain thickness or viscosity for up to 20 C . So basically it wil not be too thick at 0C to not be able to pumped around the motor to keep it lubricated and at 20C it won't be thin enough that its not doing its job. 

Read your car manuals they recommend different grades for different temp ranges. Below I've attached a page from my manual. So if you are using 0w-20 "for all american cars" as is being suggested in peak summer time hear where temperatures are hitting close to 50C then you are asking for trouble.

And the S and C stands for S= Spark as in petrol engine C= compression as in Diesel engines. And the next letter is the grade and usually the higher the letter the better it is, specially if you have a newer car But better to check for older cars. I mean 15-20 year olds. 

http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm

Oil.jpg.ed4651691b49252ac404e0a8bae92bd7.jpg 

• Like (+1) 1

Experts, To continue with the topic of which engine oil shall i use in my prado. I have below image clicked from my user manual. Kindly guide me which of these two spec mentioned to be used in UAE weather. Clear recommendation/suggestion(if possible with brand name too) will be much appreciated as i will not be able to digest the technical part of the same. 😄 

Engine Oil.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

@syedyaseer just like what desertdude said, all engine oils are multi - viscosity. So you have one viscosity reading for winter (first number) which is suffixed by 'W' and the second number which is for the summer. Those numbers donot indicate the actual viscosity but infact represent a scale for comparison between the various grades.

So in your case for UAE weather which never will see sub zero temperatures, you can choose either 5W-30 or 10W-30, as the summer viscosity (in this case 30) is the same for both the grades. You can decide which one to choose based on availability. Always better to put fully synthetic oil.

Also, referring to one of your earlier comments, I also have started buying the brand of oil that I prefer along with the original oil filter and give it to the mechanic to replace them. They charge AED 20 - 30 to do the oil replacement and I have complete peace of mind on what is going into my vehicle. It also works out to be cheaper for me as well.

• Like (+1) 1