•  
Advertise here

Engine care

6 hours ago, Ahmed Yassin said:

Hi guys, 

I just bought my 2013  3.5 Pajero 5 doors. It's 93k km . I need to know whats the oils and parts that I need to change. Also what's the best for me if I go to Al habtoor service or do it by garages. Thank 

1. Very Imp - In case the car has been parked for long hours - (for eg. overnight or full office hours), start the engine but let it idle for 30-40 seconds as this will work the engine oil to all moving parts at Idle RPM and then head off to your destination, also do not rev. too much for the first couple of kms as far as possible. 

2. Not sure about this but i was advised to switch off AC before turning off the car so that at the time of start-up, the AC motor does not put additional load on engine start-up (perhaps senior members can shed some light)

3. Use quality engine oil and change it very regularly as per the Oil type (would recommend full synthetic - Mobil1 or Total, recommended grade as i understand is 15W-40 but you will not get this in Mobil1). 

4. Since you mentioned 93K, check previous records if the Timing belt has been replaced. If not, then this is recommended every 100K kms, timing belt, pulley, water pump, thermostat & such things, on that note, also check if "Major Service' was done, which basically replaces all the major fluids. Brake, gear, Differential, Transfer case, power steering and such. Please note, major service will not include the timing belt part, it has to be done separately. 

Engine is not a high maintenance part if you follow basic rules, most important is right engine oil grade & a quality brand & timely oil change. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Sunit said:

1. Very Imp - In case the car has been parked for long hours - (for eg. overnight or full office hours), start the engine but let it idle for 30-40 seconds as this will work the engine oil to all moving parts at Idle RPM and then head off to your destination, also do not rev. too much for the first couple of kms as far as possible. 

2. Not sure about this but i was advised to switch off AC before turning off the car so that at the time of start-up, the AC motor does not put additional load on engine start-up (perhaps senior members can shed some light)

3. Use quality engine oil and change it very regularly as per the Oil type (would recommend full synthetic - Mobil1 or Total, recommended grade as i understand is 15W-40 but you will not get this in Mobil1). 

4. Since you mentioned 93K, check previous records if the Timing belt has been replaced. If not, then this is recommended every 100K kms, timing belt, pulley, water pump, thermostat & such things, on that note, also check if "Major Service' was done, which basically replaces all the major fluids. Brake, gear, Differential, Transfer case, power steering and such. Please note, major service will not include the timing belt part, it has to be done separately. 

Engine is not a high maintenance part if you follow basic rules, most important is right engine oil grade & a quality brand & timely oil change. 

Point # 2 is actually a very old tradition and passed on from generations. This was specially applicable in the older models of the 90s, cuz I've grown up seeing my father and other relatives switch off the AC before switching off the car. I think it should be applicable even now as the care on engine load on start up still applies? Though to be honest I don't strictly follow it with the assumption that engines are much more capable now? Not sure if my assumption is correct!

• Like (+1) 1

It is hard to know exactly without know the specific Pajero Model but this extract from the Pajero maintenance manual is useful

image.png.674b5f4be3c33a4a54dabba92d42a594.png

I would suggest to do the following:

• Replace timing belt (if any)
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Replace spark plugs cables
  • Replace transmission oil

Engine oil: SAE 15W-40 will do the job (fits temp range from 0C to 50C)

Transmission oil (assuming is automatic): Type: NL: Dexron 2

30-40 seconds is too much time - the average time it takes the oil pump to distribute the oil is 10-12 seconds but the oil is designed to stick to the surface for a long time and there are spaces in the engine that will prevent the oil from slipping off from important (moving) parts of the engine. 

Having the AC on or off would make no difference at all. 

17 hours ago, Sunit said:

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 1