•  
Advertise here

Going alone in the desert : good or bad idea ?

Only been to the desert alone 3-4 times without any incident. But I did try to avoid taking chances and the thrill is not quite there, just a fear. I have always enjoyed the company of like minded people for over 10 years and it is much more fun.

• Like (+1) 5

I've been out alone into the desert for more times than I care to remember on a regular basis. But this was part of work for me when I was in that line of work. Infact when I started out I was mostly by myself

95% of those times have been incident free, but 5% have been everything from getting lost ( pre GPS days ) having a simple puncture to having been transferred to hospital via ambulance. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad (0) 1

Before i joined Carnity Off-Road, i went a few times into the desert behind our community, where on the weekend days and evenings it gets very busy and you see 4x4's and people BBQ'ing all around you. The dunes are small and if you don't do any crazy stuff there is not much that can go wrong. The small dunes however contains lots of smaller bowls and pockets so you need to be careful. But if you stay close to the road you drive around a bit and learn how your vehicle reacts. I've did some testing also over there to see the differences between 4H, 4HLC, 4LO, and different deflation pressures. This kind of stuff is a bit more difficult to do in a convoy.

Google Maps Coordinates:

24°58'54.7"N 55°20'29.2"E

Again, i will never encourage others to venture out in the desert alone, and i only did this on cooler winter days / evenings where i could always see people around me, and the distance to my house is only 3kms so worst case i could walk to the nearby road and have somebody pick me up there.

On the other hand the practicing in that area gave me bit more confidence and when going into the sand with the club was less scary for me and i could focus more on the convoy behavior.

• Like (+1) 7

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Have been into desert alone few times and most of the time it doesn't went well. Mostly we wont take any chances while we are alone and always prefer the safest route which doesn’t feels good.

i will never ever encourage anyone to go alone. Atleast 3 vehicles should be there with proper recovery gear.

• Like (+1) 4

I had been to the desert alone only once, when I had to take someone to shoot some sunset shots in the desert. I was in the Qudra lake area, and mostly took the flat track as much as possible. Kept it very simple and was also more relaxed once I hit the tarmac.

• Like (+1) 4

• 4 weeks later...

Nice hilarious explanation Gaurav, ill make it easy as told to me by some legendary hot shot offroader who been to both sides of this hobby. If you can lead a convoy of 5+ cars without a stuck, then you can go alone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1

Don't agree with hot shots. I've been involved in desert driving, marshalling major events and even organized my own event 4 years in a row. Never go alone, you never know when you need friends. We are all here to support each other, going alone will never be advised by me. Minimum of 3 cars for any desert drive required.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4