•  
Advertise here

Engine Flushing Oil -- Good or Bad

Sidshk

Hi 

Recently went for oil change and the mechanic advised me to use engine flushing oil to flush out deposit from the engine, I was not sure if its good or bad so i didn't opted for it.

Need petrol heads advice on this so i can opt it during next change   

• Like (+1) 2

Unless there is visible evidence of sludge in the engine, which there shouldn't be if you have been doing regular oil changes with the correct oil, you will be wasting good money.

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Flushing oil is nothing but a very light weight oil. Better if you still must do it is the old mechanics trick of putting in a 1/4 liter of ATF around 100kms before you oil change is due.

ATF has stronger detergents than regular engine oil and could help out in breaking those hard deposits and varnish build ups.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If you really have reached to the point where such sludge has built up in the engine then it's a very bad idea to dislodge them and risk having your oil strainer chocked ultimately depriving the engine of oil

• Like (+1) 3

If you remove the oil fill cap you can peak in to it  or a even better view would be when the valve covers seals need to be changed at that time you can have a better view of the situation...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1