•  
Advertise here

Squeaking leaves springs : a solution

Today I decided to give a try to one of the recommended ways to solve this quite annoying issue that many Xterra owners know (at least the regular off-roaders) : to apply lithium between the leaves. I used this 20dhs spray bought at ACE.

Basically, you have to lift the car (with the system that will let the wheels free), use a screwdriver to create a gap between the leaves and add the grease in between each pair + on the sides and different mountings. 

When we took the car down, the miracle had happened. Not a single sound ! I drove back home with my windows opened, crossed humps at good speed no more squeaking. Now let’s see how long it will last but so far it’s working. 

Previously I had tried everything except taking off the suspensions and clean them : w40, diesel, placing a rubber between the leaves... None of those had any effect. 

9EC748F5-FD56-4935-8E10-F8784830E735.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Frederic said:

That's a shame... I was looking forward on the next night-drive where i could follow your car with my eyes closed 😂

Image result for squeaky old man funny

1000 Carnity points for this reply

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 minute ago, Emmanuel said:

Gosh... I’ll update you on Saturday 

I also had the same feeling but didn't feel like saying after seeing your excitement

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Sad (0) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Good news @Frederic squeaking sound is back after yesterday's offroad drive. Slightly squeaking though, no possible comparaison with what it was before... You will need a lightbar. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

• 2 weeks later...

Little update. As I said I had a slight squeaking noise just after the April 12th drive, but then it actually disappeared again. After 2 off-road drives (+ a full steam wash), it still didn’t come back. So, for 20 dhs the spray bottle, and a 5 minutes job, it’s a solution to consider if you face this kind of issue. 

When the noise will be back, I’ll advise here...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I'm surprised diesel did not work, that usually did the trick for a pickup I have back home. Then again, we don't have this extreme weather conditions back home. 

• Like (+1) 3