•  
Advertise here

Questions Regarding FJ Cruiser Suspension Lift

Hello to all,

I wanted to ask if adding a 2 Inch suspension lift on an FJ would mess with its center of gravity. I have done approx 20 drives and I consider myself to be in the Fewbie Level. I have understood the limitations and overall stability of my FJ but I am assuming a new set of suspensions would perform slightly better than stock and also the increased ground clearance would be beneficial. My main fear offcourse is rolling over, so will lifting the FJ by 2 inches increase the center of gravity and hence increase the chances for rollover??

Thank you, looking forward to the expert advice.

• Like (+1) 1

If you are looking at a 2 inch lift a set of spacers might be better than changing the entire suspension.

Normally a 2 inch lift is fine, it should not cause major issue in terms of big change in center of gravity.

• Like (+1) 2

For the FJ I would recommend going for the fox suspension, it improves the balance of the vehicle and you'll feel much more comfortable with the fox. Normally an inch wheel spacer will make sure that your centre of gravity is not compromised.

• Like (+1) 2

Thank you @Srikumar for your prompt reply. 😁

@Rahimdad Since my budget would be between 4k-6k .I wanted know if stage one Fox Suspension will provide better performance than stock or will the higher stages of Fox suspension bring a noticeable change? On the other hand, I heard some positive reviews about the Dobinson suspensions and a Stage 2 from Dobinson would cost around 6k. Any comments regarding Dobinson Suspension? And thanks for the spacer tip. My doubts regarding offroad stability post lift have been cleared 😁

Again I would like to thank you all for taking the time to answer my query.

• Like (+1) 1

I have been hearing a lot about Dobinson lately, it's not a cheap mod so if you don't like you can change. Try to check with people who own FJ and have already moded, check with them if you can try their ride and decide. Maybe the garage you want it done at has a moded vehicle they will let you try out. Check with Future Tyres in the business listings. Lot of positive feedbacks for them and they might be able to point you in the right direction. Regarding the wheel spacers please go with a good brand spacers and not the Iranian ones. Plus after the spacers the wheels might protude out of the vehicle which is a no no for RTA, so you will have to het bigger fender flares so the tires don't show out of the body. Plus get a good alignment and balancing job done after the lift, preferably from the same shop that is doing the lift for you.

• Like (+1) 1

I would advise against spacers, they just raise you center of gravity without much benefit. You'll still have the same wobbly ride because suspension is the same, infant you'll be even more wobbly because now you are taller with the same stock soft suspension. 

Your wheel travel will not improve and you will still bottom out the suspension at the same rate as stock.

My personal preference and one I've always used is using taller stiffer coils with stock shocks. This gives a good mix of on and offtoad ability. Not to stiff on the road and not too soft off road. 

And as a newbie/fewbie stay 2" or under. But my ost pertinent advise would be since you are still new at this. Develop your offroading skill rather than modify your tools. At 20 drives in I doubt you have maxed out the FJ, regardless of how shit I think it is, it's still a capable off roader and it probably has a lot more to give before it's actually the FJ that is holding you back 

• Like (+1) 2

I would say to wait and save so you can upgrade to something better with adjustable trackbars and control arms once you are more experienced.

Answering your question, the answer is simple, a 2 inch lift won't mess with the center of gravity, typically something above 3 inch would be of some concern, but even then, if it is done properly it would not cause issues. 

I agree with @desertdude spacers are not a good way to go I think they are just for looks but it wont really improve the drive. 

14 hours ago, salim12 said:

I wanted to ask if adding a 2 Inch suspension lift on an FJ would mess with its center of gravity.

• Like (+1) 2