•  
Advertise here

Nissan Pathfinder 01-05 Manual or Automatic(Strictly for Off-roading)

syedyaseer

Gentleman. Need input on car strictly for offroading. I have come across couple of pathfinder on various platforms ranging from 6k-15K manual and automatic both. Also i have seen couple of Pajero SWB old 1996-2000 models. Main Criteria is trouble free offroading!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Confused (0) 1

If you get either one in clean condition I would suggest to check it out. Pathfinder parts might be cheaper than the Pajero and more easily available.

Also ensure that the Pathfinder is a 3.5 and not the 3.0 or 3.3 version.

On these cars automatic would be preferred, unless you fancy driving a manual. 

Both cars should be bought for less than 10k and you need to keep approx 5k for upgrading it

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Srikumar said:

If you get either one in clean condition I would suggest to check it out. Pathfinder parts might be cheaper than the Pajero and more easily available.

Also ensure that the Pathfinder is a 3.5 and not the 3.0 or 3.3 version.

On these cars automatic would be preferred, unless you fancy driving a manual. 

Both cars should be bought for less than 10k and you need to keep approx 5k for upgrading it

@Srikumar. Thanks for quick response. Mileage noted on cars are somewhere from 170K-350K. is it OK to buy cars if they are in decent condition?

• Like (+1) 2

It's not easy to find a decent Pajero SWB 1996-2000 models anymore. Most of them have the 3.0 6G72 engine, which in most cases will need an overhaul after doing many GCC miles. They are however easy to work on and not complicated. (SOHC). The 99 and 2000 models are called blister-fenders, because they have the wider wheel arches. Most of them will be automatic transmission. 

If you want a 3.5 24Valve one like @Gaurav has, then definitely you'll need to search for a needle in a haystack. And be ready to inject some cash into them to get them running properly again. 

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

So many good advises by all. My Pathy is the 2001 model which is the last of 3.3 litre engine., post 2002 models are 3.5 litre which is highly recommended. Automatic or manual depends on your preference, as @Srikumar said less the 200k kilometres on the odometer would be nice, but make sure they are original miles and not tampered with.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

So many good advises by all. My Pathy is the 2001 model which is the last of 3.3 litre engine., post 2002 models are 3.5 litre which is highly recommended. Automatic or manual depends on your preference, as @Srikumar said less the 200k kilometres on the odometer would be nice, but make sure they are original miles and not tampered with.

@Rahimdad My first drive with you all was really awesome. i felt a bug called offroad has stung me. Only issue during the drive because of which i was not able to enjoy to the fullest was getting under body hit because of unexpected jump or similar. After every steep dune(for me every dune was a challenge) i was looking on to my bumpers just to ensure it is not scratched . Also i remember someone saying during the drive. You should never take your 1 lac or above car to the desert 😁 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

It's a good decision @syedyaseer to have a separate offroad ride than your daily driver.

Go through this classic post, solely made for this advice

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

4 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

It's a good decision @syedyaseer to have a separate offroad ride than your daily driver.

Go through this classic post, solely made for this advice

@Gaurav Sir i have gone thru the above article once. But yes, need to re-read it just to ensure nothing critical is missed. 

• Like (+1) 1