•  
Advertise here

People who do their own repairs

Barry

What are you into?

Do you like to do your own oil changes?

Do you have a basic diagnostic computer to read fault codes so you can do basic electrical repairs?

What do you do and what level are you prepared to take it to? When do you say stop, I need a garage?

Im all for people repairing their own cars. My internet life revolves around offering repair information but most people don’t understand it, they just want to find the cheapest garage available. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Oil Changes no, because no place, too messy and too much faff to get rid of the used oil. Not that I haven't done it, but just not worth it.

Have a specific LR diagnostic tool, not very advanced but not basic like an OBD either, been very helpful.

I've done ECUs, Fuseboxes, rewiring,electrical, mechanical engine and drive train, interior and body. But automatic transmissions is where I call it quits and would call a professional.

• Like (+1) 5

Back home, I used to do my own oil changes and brake pads because i was too broke/lazy to go to a workshop. 

Basic electric repairs, minor upgrades, and diagnosis is something i am comfortable doing. I used to install high-end audio equipment in cars back in the days when i was younger lad. 

My expertise is mainly in industrial electronics/mechanics/automation stuff. Which unfortunately does not apply too much to cars :)But hey, common sense goes a long way !

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I do my own oil chnages, although recently got the garage to do the major oil change. I wanted a garage to check my car and make sure an expert eye catches any issues that I have missed. I also find re-filling heavy gear oil a messy procedure, and also transmission oil. But I have changed spark plugs, installed a front diff locker, rebuilt a BMW Vanos, brake calipers, as some of my more complex jobs. At times when I pressed for time I will give the car to the garage, but wouldn't mind doing more, but work gets in the way.Nothing more relaxing than a stripped bolt to remove. 

• Like (+1) 3

My dad had a garage after he worked for Ford, GM, etc. so I grew up in the car assembly lines and all my life saw how cars were put together, fixed or modified.

Back home I used to do modifications and maintenance to my cars like installing turbos or changing the brake pads, etc. but here I only do some minor mods. I don't have time now after work or weekends when I have to do all the honeydos. I do have a computer so I if there is something wrong I can check it out myself and maybe repair it if it's not very time consuming.

• Like (+1) 5

@vanhack long time no hear buddy. Great to have you back. My respect to all who do their own jobs on cars. My dad used to be with quick cabs back in Karachi Pakistan and had his eyes on the workshop. So he used to be very knowledgeable about cars, he passed on some of it to me. As a result I do all the regular checks. I started my drive life with a very basic Honda Civic and I changed the air filter, spark plugs and even the mechanical fuel pump. So I'm into very basic stuff and not comfortable with things which take longer time and use too many tools.

• Like (+1) 1

These days I only check fluid levels, and then only the ones I don't have to use tools for. I'm fine with pulling out a dip stick or unscrewing a radiator cap, and I will even look at the brake fluid and windscreen washer fluid level since both these containers are transparent, but for anything else I will take my cars to one of my erstwhile competitors.   

Edited by treks
  • Haha (+1) 2

21 hours ago, treks said:

These days I only check fluid levels, and then only the ones I don't have to use tools for. I'm fine with pulling out a dip stick or unscrewing a radiator cap, and I will even look at the brake fluid and windscreen washer fluid level since both these containers are transparent.

My skill set matches exactly with you on this.

• Haha (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.