•  
Advertise here

Power Steering Failure !

Hello, 

I've had my power steering fail during my last drive in the desert yesterday! (I should have stuck to flying - less damage to the car 😂).

I went to see two garages today and I got the same diagnostic - the power steering pump is dead.

I was given two options to fix the issue

1. Replace the whole pump assembly: between 2500-3000aed including labor! (seems very very expensive !!)
  2. Repair the pump itself: between 800 to 1500aed...

Any thoughts? Where can I check the price of parts online? 
Would repairing the pump be a good option? Or is it a "high risk" job and it would fail again? 
Any recommended garage to go to and do this for a fair price?

In the meantime, I'm gonna grow some muscles 😅

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Good share @eduardo. Maybe @Barry would be more qualified to comment on difference between repair and replacement. You don't have to get new steering pump, maybe @shadow79 can source one for you cheaper.

• Like (+1) 2

Call a few of them and get the quote for used one too, as fixing maybe 100-200 dhs.

Mitsubishi Scrap Yard

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

If a pump is reconditioned and repaired properly, it should be as good as a new pump. It all depends on who is doing the work and how professional they are. Many places will take your old pump as a core unit and hand you a “new” reconditioned unit. 

New, original is always good but it’s expensive but at least you know it’s new. Don’t write off aftermarket parts, research the manufacturer. Sure there’s a lot of cheap crap out there, but some of the aftermarket parts manufacturers make parts for the car manufacturer and just stick a stamp on it. Like ferodo, gates, valeo, small names but original parts without the original price. 

Second hand parts can be good but you need to do your research and know what you’re looking for. You know they’re genuine parts from the manufacturer but remember they’re old. They will probably fail when they reach the same usage level as your own part. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

14 minutes ago, edouard said:

@Barry thanks for the detailed answers. Any recommended or tested place for the "repair" option? 

Sorry that’s a question I can’t answer. If I was in my home country I could recommend a place but here, I do all my own work in house with my team. I only work on classics now and do restoration jobs. My labour charges are a lot higher that most garages. This is a question for another member. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

Pump properly repaired is almost equal to a new pump price 

Better roll the dice and get a used one and hope that it wasn't abused earlier...

Don't forget to flush the old fluid out before putting it in

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1