•  

the importance of soft shackles, kinetic rope and solid recovery points

G.huz

Brilliant share @G.huz

I have received this yesterday while I was out and until now it was in the back of my mind to share and you did it before me.

Like these days soft shackles are must, I think we regularly need to check our tow points for internal corrosion over time.

@Frederic is there any stress test available to see if existing tow hook can be rated against 4-5 tons pull? Just a thought

• Like (+1) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Yes man, everyone talks about how importance the kenitic rope and soft shackles, but never imagined it until now.

Super scary, I hope it won't drive off-roaders away from this sport.

This is a core lesson stresses on the very core of Carnity.

@Rahimdad, you're a better expert than I am with Pathfinder, do I need to work on my recovery points? Front and rear?

If they need some work, I need to fix them ASAP.

9 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Brilliant share @G.huz

I have received this yesterday while I was out and until now it was in the back of my mind to share and you did it before me.

Like these days soft shackles are must, I think we regularly need to check our tow points for internal corrosion over time.

@Frederic is there any stress test available to see if existing tow hook can be rated against 4-5 tons pull? Just a thought

If there's such a thing, that would be awesome

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, G.huz said:

Yes man, everyone talks about how importance the kenitic rope and soft shackles, but never imagined it until now.

Super scary, I hope it won't drive off-roaders away from this sport.

This is a core lesson stresses on the very core of Carnity.

I’ve seen crazy accidents after being 20 years working in manufacturing industry. Taking into account the crazy amounts of stress load that comes into play when recovering a vehicle, EVERY possible step in minimizing the risk should be considered, and the soft shackles are i god gift in such situations.

i would like to add that it’s advisable to use a sandbag over the tow rope while doing a recovery. I don’t often see that being done here. In this case above, the OEM tow hook would have been dragged to the ground instead of going through the windshield. 

@Gaurav it’s pretty difficult doing a load or stress test to assess your OEM tow hook. But severe corrosion should have been noticed by the owner of the vehicle. 

A test rig could be built by attaching a winch to a tow hook, with a load scale in between like they use on cranes. But this would be only partly accurate or reliable, as the kinetic pulling energy is far more than a steady buildup of force. 

As I mentioned before, kinetic ropes are a fantastic tool, but as you feel the jerking feeling less, people often pull like crazy, and the kinetic snap-back is really extremely forceful and puts great stress at factory tow points. Again stressing the fact that kinetic pulling should be slowly built up in 2-3 attempts.  

Very sad to see what happened there and makes me realize again the forces at play🤕

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

A sandbag is a good option, but in this case the recovery point flew in rocket speed.

As am thinking, maybe another rope holding the main one would somehow work like a sandbad, it would hold back the main rope and whatever it's carrying from flying.

Idon't know, am just thinking of work arounds to prevent this from happening.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@G.huz great share, we shout this from Newbie level and stress the importance as we have seen so many cases in our years. I can't say that specific Pathfinder needs any changes for the tow points. I was lucky to get mine from a friend who used it off road only once and it was properly protected against rust. Each car bought second hand must be checked for rust and corrosion as you never know how the previous owner has taken care of his ride or not.

We try to take all precautions and that is why till a certain level we don't allow recoveries to be done by newbie or Fewbie level. Those observing the recovery should also be away from the radius of the rope. A sand bag is a good idea and in extreme recoveries we have used those or the sling to protect in case of breakage.

So far Shukar Alhamdolillah there have been no such cases in the Carnity club and we would like to continue it that way.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

We always like to share and listen everyone's experiences, please go ahead @M.K with your inputs. 

I used safety straps on both sides on stubborn stucks if car doesn't come out in first 2-3 attempts or if I need to give harder tug to reposition the car.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use