•  
Advertise here

Can I use 80w90 GL-5?

Hi guys, can I use the 80w90 instead of 75w85? It is becoming easier to find this oil instead of 75w85 or even 75w90? 

So far the brands that I found are ZIC (80w90), KIXX (80w90) and ACDelco (75w90). Any one have experience any of them?

Note: I previously used 85w90 as per the shop that deals with OEM parts. But I found it getting black in the rear two days back, when I changed the wheel bearings. So, I don't want to use that oil again.

Please advice me.

Thanks,
  • Like (+1) 1

Use what it says to use in the owners manual. Using something else might save you 50-100 dhs now but it could result in a 3,000 dhs rebuild next year. 

Dont just rely on the thickness, ie 85w90, check the other specs of the oil and see if they’re suitable to your vehicle. 

Oil is the blood of your car. It’s like being thirsty and drinking coke instead of water all day. You will get sick. Stick to what it says in the owner manual. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

On 4/28/2019 at 7:47 AM, katana85 said:
Hi guys, can I use the 80w90 instead of 75w85? It is becoming easier to find this oil instead of 75w85 or even 75w90? 

So far the brands that I found are ZIC (80w90), KIXX (80w90) and ACDelco (75w90). Any one have experience any of them?

Note: I previously used 85w90 as per the shop that deals with OEM parts. But I found it getting black in the rear two days back, when I changed the wheel bearings. So, I don't want to use that oil again.

Please advice me.

Thanks,

What do you mean the oil "was getting black?" Gear oil can live for many years without undergoing major color changes, so if your diff oil was getting black, there is likely some kind of contaminant present, or the previous oil was not suitable, or of the wrong grade /formulation. 

Either way, do as @Barry suggested- stick to the recommended oil, but I would suggest you have the diff cleaned out to remove possible contaminants.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2019 at 5:02 PM, Rahimdad said:

@katana85 you meant gear oil. I am not so sure, but maybe the more experienced members like @Barry, @shadow79, @treks and @Glanz Lube can help.

Thank Sir for thinking that i can help in this case. Sorry for being late as i was busy in some purchases so hardly got time to check social media. Well as it is suggested above use the recommended oil as per manual. the brands which are mentioning are ok but try AMSOIL, Royal Purple, Syntix, kandel  etc for better results and performance. the availability of these brands is an issue but u can try atleast to put some good oil into gear box 

• Thanks (+1) 1