•  
Advertise here

Drive to Musandam, Oman

Hello!

We are thinking of visiting Musandam Governorate in Oman. It is only 200km away from Dubai, should be a nice option for short 1-2 days trip.

Looks like there are plenty of things to do including dhow cruising, old castle exploration, mountain driving and beach camping.

Anybody visited this place before? May be you can give some advise?

Thanks!

Capture2.JPG

• Like (+1) 2

Fantastic, thanks a lot, Frederic! 

• Like (+1) 2

@Frederic I experienced the fytoplankton last year in Miami beach, at first it was scary since it was my first time and I had no idea about what it was. Once my cousin brother explained me the phenomena I was at ease and really enjoyed the moment. It is magical.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

The fytoplankton is definitely a superb experience. You can rent the dhows and stay on the boat overnight in the middle of the sea, and go swimming at night, its a really superb experience and one I will always remember with all the glowing plankton. Although you also have to be lucky that the moon isn't out, that's when it shows you the best results! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

Quick question on visa requirement. Is it compulsory to have 6 months validity on current UAE residence visa? Im aware that 6 months of validity is must for passport. No sure about the visa requirement.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

For Oman mainland it's 3 months validity on UAE Visa. Not sure for Musandam as generally there the rules were a bit relaxed.

I have tried with less than one month visa validity too. Not mine, but for my younger one. She had only 27 days left on her visa and i realized at the immigration. I gave all other passports for stamping before her's . Luckily they didn't check and visa was approved over the counter. This may be purely because of the family visit. but i dont recommend this to anyone as it might be a spoiler i case of rejection.  It may be our luck or may be rules are relaxed for children.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Mikhail Lukichev : I just got back from Musandam yesterday . I have prepared something that might help you for your trip. 

THINGS TO REMEMBER

1.     Unclear about rules regarding border crossing with Alcohol. (Atana Khasab has a bar called  Darts Bar 26.213723, 56.233832)

2.     Carry a pen each to fill up forms at the Oman Arrival Hall to save time. They do not usually provide pens.

3.     Almost all the places in Musandam use Arab Emirate Dirhams.

4.     Save your and officials’ time by applying for e-Visa beforehand (Incase the online application asks for Port of Entry – Al Daara Border)

5.     Not clear regarding ownership papers of car - Best if vehicle is under driver’s name. In case of vehicle under mortgage / Rent a Car: approval papers from the necessary organizations are a must)

6.     For Oman Visa details: Use “http://www.rop.gov.om/old/english/dg_pr_visas_agcc.asp” to check eligibility for AGCC Visa (50.00 AED – Only for residents of GCC Countries belonging to selected category). Though I have been told that other professions which are not mentioned in the site have also been approved such as ‘clerical analyst’, etc.

7.     Definitely take water slippers because the beaches have pebbles and sharp stones.

8. During checking Omani official asked me if I'm carrying any professional camera such as DSLRs . ( Maybe have to pay extra , not sure )

UAE TO OMAN Border Procedure

1.     Drive on E11 towards towards Al Dara Border via Ras Al Khaimah .

2.     Drive over one-way tire killer at 26.048322, 56.086789 and park vehicle at 26.049580, 56.088251 on right side.

3.     Enter UAE departure hall at 26.049787, 56.087717 with:

a)     Passport

b)     Vehicle registration card

Ask for exit stamp (mention clearly that you’re travelling to Khasab and NOT there for visa change at any of the counters). Pay 33.00 AED per passport for exit stamp (ONLY by card – e-dirham OR Credit card | e-Dirham card cannot be recharged from the office, have to be recharged beforehand) .Receive exit stamp on passports and an extra slip Pink-White slip (keep it safe).

4.     Return to vehicle and move to 26.050195, 56.087695 and pass slip to official through window.

5.     Park car at 26.051296, 56.087772 and enter Oman arrival hall in front.  Carry:

a)     Passport

b)     Vehicle registration

c)     Oman coverage vehicle insurance

d)     Address of stay

e)     e-visa if you have applied for VISA online at ROP (https://evisa.rop.gov.om/)

6.     Ask Omani officials for VISA form and complete the form (Carry pen each beforehand). Go to counter and provide passport and form alone to official. Provide others when asked for. Pay 50.00 AED (payable as cash / using Card). Receive passport with visa and extra Pink-White (keep it safe) .

7.     Move to 26.051993, 56.088070, park car and exit car (only driver) and pass slip to Omani official. Open boot and show to official. Receive slip with approval stamp after vehicle checking.

8.     Move to 26.054293, 56.088090 and hand over approved slip to Omani official through window.

9.     Drive to Khasab

OMAN TO UAE Border Procedure

1.     Move to 26.051477, 56.087608 drive through counter with passports. Receive Oman Exit Stamp from the official (Free).

2.     Drive ahead and park at 26.050336, 56.087269, and walk to UAE ARRIVAL HALL at 26.049790, 56.087411 with passports and ask for Entry stamp at any of the counters. (Clearly mention you already have residence visa and not there for visa change). Collect passports with UAE entry stamp and extra Pink-White slip.

3.     Drive to 26.048406, 56.086474 for vehicle checking. Provide official with the slip. After checking, receive slip with approval stamp.

4.     Drive to counter 26.048037, 56.086488 and pass the approved slip through the window.

5.     Drive to Ras Al Khaimah.

PLACES TO VISIT (BASIC ONLY)

1.     Al Jadi Beach Photo Point – 26.172592, 56.173098 (Great)

2.     Khasab Fort – 26.198137, 56.249173 – AED 5.00 entrance fee + Information CD + Oman tourism pamphlet (Great)

3.     Jabel Harim – 25.976958, 56.231624 (Great)

4.     Cliff over-looking Bassa Beach – 26.213799, 56.234985 (Great)

5.     Bassa Beach – 26.212017, 56.236424 (Bleh)

6.     Khor Al Najd View Point – 26.091901, 56.363611 (Great)

7.     Khor Al Najd Camping Spot – 26.096429, 56.331921 (Bleh)

8.     Bukha Fort – 26.144883, 56.153464 (Bleh)

9.     Al Khalidiya Acacia Forest Entrance – Can drive through - 26.045059, 56.363629 (High chances of getting stuck in mud if rained recently) (Great)

10.   Al Khalidiya Children’s Park Entrance - 26.043421, 56.366832 (Bleh)

11.   Al Qala’a Fort – 26.141703, 56.173098 (Bleh)

PLACES TO EAT

1.     Al Shamalia Grill Restaurant – (Equivalent of Indian cafeterias in UAE) Try grilled : Prawns/ Hammour / Lobster. Family section available on 1st floor. Don’t expect fine dining / luxury, it’s a cafeteria. Also delivers to vehicle / hotel room around Khasab.

2.     LULU Hypermarket - 26.199750, 56.250536 – Ready to eat food available near Bakery section + Great for shopping .

3.      Wadi Qada

4.     Telegraph Restaurant

5.     Aroos Musandam

I have uploaded word file also along with this reply . 

Musandam.docx

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 4

• 2 months later...

@Melvin Martin Thanks a lot for your guide!😀

I missed an opportunity to visit Musandam during colder months but definitely I will do it in October or November.

Guys, one more question from my side please.

If I cross UAE - Oman border in Al Ain in the night time, is there somebody to sell temporary Omani car insurance for me?

Thanks!

• Like (+1) 2