•  
Advertise here

CVT transmission

Rahimdad

The other day I was speaking to @Barry about CVT transmission and he told me he had one on his DAC vehicle back in the 1980's. The CVT has started appearing in more vehicles in teh past 10 years. From all these I have only heard complains about CVT failure in Nissan vehicles, mostly Sentra and Altima. I once wanted to own a Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT which also had the CVT. Although the shape, specs were my favorite as soon as I test drove one the CVT kind of threw me off as the revs never exceeded 2K revs even with the pedal to the metal.

My question though is the CVT only has a history to fail in the Nissan or are others facing any issues with teh CVT as well. I never heard a Lancer EX GT owner complaint that their CVT gearbox failed? Can you please enlighten me if you happen to own any Mitsubishi vehicle or any other makes with the CVT transmission. Have you faced problems, and how costly would be repairs to teh CVT or does it need to be changed.

Many thanks in advance to all for sharing your experiences here.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Rahimdad said:

The other day I was speaking to @Barry about CVT transmission and he told me he had one on his DAC vehicle back in the 1980's. The CVT has started appearing in more vehicles in teh past 10 years. From all these I have only heard complains about CVT failure in Nissan vehicles, mostly Sentra and Altima. I once wanted to own a Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT which also had the CVT. Although the shape, specs were my favorite as soon as I test drove one the CVT kind of threw me off as the revs never exceeded 2K revs even with the pedal to the metal.

My question though is the CVT only has a history to fail in the Nissan or are others facing any issues with teh CVT as well. I never heard a Lancer EX GT owner complaint that their CVT gearbox failed? Can you please enlighten me if you happen to own any Mitsubishi vehicle or any other makes with the CVT transmission. Have you faced problems, and how costly would be repairs to teh CVT or does it need to be changed.

My first UAE car was suppose to be Nissan Altima (Preowned). Went through some horrible CVT nightmares online and decided to change it Toyota Camry at the last moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rahimdad said:

Good question, I too have only seen and heard CVT horror stories from Nissan products! Maybe because only Nissan has widely adopted the CVT as its standard transmission for majority of its vehicles?  Toyota only now is making the VT stabdard in its smaller cars this year I heard even the Rav4 is coming with a CVT

Well for the last 7ish months had a new rental yaris which also has a CVT, to be honest it worked pretty fine. It had "7 speed" gearbox ( a misnomer in CVT terms ) but yeah the rpms always kept pretty low even at 120 I was barely over 1.5k. But it wasn't totally gutless for a 1.5 but the low rpms but had a manual shift mode too if you wanted the motor to scream. The CVT and its low rpms did give it some real snazzy fuel economy. Had a tiny tank and 60 dhs it was full and get 550 - 600kms from it. 

But it was a new car and when we returned it it had barely crossed 35k.

Now got a replacement ugly as hell Nissan Sunny with a regular gearbox and it sucks ass. Very soon they will replace it with a 2019 CVT version of it and then I can chime in how a Nissan CVT is. 

Although I thought the Toyota CVT gave it some real awesome milage, dunno how well it would last in the long run. 

• Like (+1) 2

I had a Nissan Juke, I bought it new and worked perfectly fine until a year and a half later when I had issues with the CVT, luckily it was under warranty and they replaced it.

I remembered I asked how much was the transmission, he said 30k, so I would really try to stay away from that transmission, although it is difficult since it is becoming very common. 

Edited by Javier M
  • Like (+1) 1

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far @desertdude and @Javier M. Still waiting for feedback on other models, I didn't even know Toyota adopted CVT thanks @desertdude to add to my knowledge.

The technology dates back to at least the 70:th. Volvo had a model (340) that was successful in Europe with a gearbox from DAF.

I have more recent personal experience with a Toyota IQ 2010 in Europe. Got it new and kept it for 7 years. Never an issue.

But I do believe you need a quite powerful engine to get a good user experience. I have used a few under power rentals over the years and the user experience has been horrible.

• Like (+1) 2

My dad has CVT on his Mercedes A class. Had a big issue once where they had to replace the electronic module between gear lever and CVT itself from what i understood.

Had some rental cars with CVT and wasn't so fond about it; it's takes time getting used to it i guess.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1204698

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I did some research and it turns out that there are several class action lawsuits and recalls for CVTs to Suzuki, Nissan, Honda, Subaru, Toyota, Ford, etc. 

It seems it is a faulty system afterall.

• Like (+1) 1

On the other hand, it is a technology that seems to be bullet proof on motorbikes (scooters), quads and snow mobiles.

So, assume size actually matter (even if some of us pretend it is not the case). :-)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far @desertdude and @Javier M. Still waiting for feedback on other models, I didn't even know Toyota adopted CVT thanks @desertdude to add to my knowledge.

I hope toyota did as when i went for servicing 2018 model corolla for service they were mentioning some items need to be changed and later dropped that telling me its not required as 2018 transmission is CVT. I am not sure.

• Like (+1) 1