•  
Advertise here

Suspension lift kit or lift with a spacer?

Sorry to say, both are lifting the body and increasing the approach and departure angle and not as pic posted - It's not right.

However, with suspension change, you will get long travel suspension to absorb the bumps at high speed, where spacers might fail if stock shocks are weak or don't allow much travel.

I'm using 2 Inch spacer at back and twisted torsion rod for a 2-inch lift from the front since last 6 years and waiting for my shocks to fail to upgrade the whole suspension. Reason for hanging for so long is that with my present suspension I have a Soft Medium Hard setting switch that gives a beautiful comfy ride for road and stiff for offroad. Unfortunately, in aftermarket suspension, you will most of the time driving hard even on road.

I had Aragosta suspension on my Patrol and it used to kill my back even when set at the softest setting from the outside reservoir remote x 4 times changing the dial, instead of one switch inside the cabin to flick for all 4 sides.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Derick for beach sand or flat sand area - no dune bashing you will be better off with spacers than lift kit to spend so much. Professional lift kits are only good for regular offroaders (dune basher or rock crawling) who really able to use its real value.

Just make sure you buy good brand polyurethane spacers that work very well unlike rubber that sags/crack in one year and doesn't harm underbody, like metal spacers.

And Srikumar must be right that you are not touching the bumper, but bumper skirt in black plastic that extends to 2-3 inch below the bumper, purely cosmetic stuff (I guess) and you are even better off removing it completely because that might pull the whole bumper down on some low clearance stuck. 

• Like (+1) 1

The pic posted is of a body lift not a spacer suspension lift, usually done on ladder frame chassis truck with really big tires. This is just adding spacers between the body and frame chassis.

Extreme example is monster trucks. 

Suspension lift is just putting block or puck of plastic, rubber or metal between the spring and body. Thus raising the suspension.

Not a fan of those though, you still retain the same stock suspension characteristics abiet a bit more wobbly and you still most probably will bottom out and your rear will still sag 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Not a fan of those though, you still retain the same stock suspension characteristics abiet a bit more wobbly and you still most probably will bottom out and your rear will still sag 

Not really on a beach sand dude, in dune bashing, I can agree to some extent

• Like (+1) 1

mind my ignorance, but how is that either of the two options (lift kit vs spacers) increasing the ground clearance. I thought ground clearance is measured from the lowest point of the vehicle (which in most case is the differential) to the ground. Now, this clearance can only be increased by putting bigger tyres which can be achieved by both options.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

4 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Sorry to say, both are lifting the body and increasing the approach and departure angle and not as pic posted

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2019 at 3:33 PM, Srikumar said:

For a Pajero I have seen a few who kept the stock suspension and got some good brand of 2" spacers. @Fuad @WiLfY please advise.

So far I am happy with dobinsons 2 inch lift. Was thinking of fixing cheap spacers but didn't think they were worth taking the risk. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/1/2019 at 4:25 PM, Fuad said:

I will always prefer the complete suspension kit change which is expensive but only needed when you are an regular off roader as the reach for offroad suspension is good compared to the stock.

Spacers doesn't feels good for me as we are adding another extra piece to your suspension( Coils ), But not the shocks,thus extending the suspension reach,compression. Best option is to save up and buy suspension.

@WiLfY you can explain it the best way as you have upgraded your suspensions to dobinson.

Automechanica is on June. You will definitely have some offers on offroad items.😉

The dobinsons have been good both on and off road.  In addition to 2 inch dobinsons lift I decided to upsize the tyres which gave me an additional ground clearance. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WiLfY said:

The dobinsons have been good both on and off road.  In addition to 2 inch dobinsons lift I decided to upsize the tyres which gave me an additional ground clearance. 

Which tyre size you are using now? 

On 5/1/2019 at 3:26 PM, Derick said:

I need a two inch lift for my pajero and tuied up between using a height spacer or change the suspension? I read heap of articles and already very confused on which way to go. Spacers are cheap but at same time I dont want to damage any underbody but also i dont want to spend too much for full suspension change when spacer can give that little lift. please help guys

There is an offer for Amada Xtreme complete suspension kit for 1800 for a pajero. Ok 

• Like (+1) 1