•  

Open Club  ·  67 members

New Tech

New sustainable outlook for electric cars

Gaurav

I would not call electric cars sustainable when most of the electricity is generated by fossil fuels. Not to mention all the carbon generated to make the batteries (mineral exploitation, production, etc.). In my opinion electric cars are still just selling the illusion of environmentally friendly, maybe in the future this will actually be true. 

image.png.20a61d0f53fe1a49eb64f9fa07a50192.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

• 4 months later...

You have a point Javier as this will not be a major reduction as jet fuel and ship engines are also to blame for pollution.

However  I expect the non-fossil fuel sources like solar, nuclear and hydro power will increase day-by-day so there will still be some sustainable component. If you get a chance watch Bill Gates video on Netflix where he talks about his investment in the design of nuclear plants that use nuclear waste to generate power. Another point that helps the electric car option is that the urban areas that have high concentration of pollution on roads due to exhaust gasses will become cleaner. Yes the industrial pollution portion is high too but any incremental reduction should benefit the population living close to the traffic clogged roads. 
Anyways, I do agree with your point that there is still too much use of fossil fuel to generate power at present so electric car advantages is currently over hyped. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

@Carnity @Gaurav There is got to be a way to lock old threads over here. 6 month time limit before it gets locked, or a forum reminder that the thread you are about to post in is XYZ years old. 

Too much Necro'ing going on over here these days. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 1 year later...

A cheep clean energy source is supposed to be the future , currently in science fiction movies. The transition to reality takes lots of effort and sacrifice even at individual level! 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use