•  
Advertise here

what about pick up trucks for off road?

so we have a super nice post about good off road cars with a price range, and then sort of a price gathering tool, but what about pick up trucks for off road? are they good for off road? how do they compare to cars?

what are the good ones? what should we look for? pros and cons and all that, are they affordable?

• Like (+1) 3

Looks like you are bored with your Pathy and thinking of upgrade...?

Although I have never used a pickup truck myself, but heard from friends that it is good but due to its long size not ideal for small dunes as its prone to crest a lot. Even the single cab or SWB pickup truck is the same size of LWB full size 4x4. However, it's best for camping lovers, who like to load a ton of stuff or quad bikes and still cross through dunes.

@Asif Hussain please share your experience in detail as you had a Ford truck for a long time.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Nice question @G.huz. I beleive there are some good pick up trucks out there, but research has to be made on capability, affordability, reliability and other factors that could affect the choice. In bigger trucks popular ones are the Toyota Tundra, Ford F150, Ram 1500, Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra. Smaller pick up trucks have the Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger, Mitsubishi L200, Nissan Navara. Truly speaking some of these smaller pick ups require a business and a trade licence. But the bigger ones everybody can own.

Personally I feel they are a bit more expensive and more difficult to maintain as the rear is always open to be suseptable to weather conditions. Maybe @Asif Hussain can share his truck experience.

• Like (+1) 1

Good topic. My neighbor who’s an Emirates pilot has a beautiful avalanche in his garage. Would love to take it out of his hands one day 😁

On the other hand I have a friend who’s driving a Ford Ranger 3.2 Diesel Wildtrak. It’s constantly sitting in the workshop because sand gets in his Turbo 😖

According to the stealership he shouldn’t use it for off-road, while that’s just the selling point of the Wildtrak. Go figure...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Going back to my classic question: How many pickups you have seen in the desert? Maybe 1:10

Friend of mine bought Tundra SWB single cab, I think with supercharged or he added on and sold after 6 months to go back to LC SWB. When he bought it, he was all excited and peppy about Tundra but when he changed, he did it quietly.

All the marketing commercials of pickup talking about unleash your freedom, to be more manly and live like a king is a lifestyle touch for people who use these trucks to reach from point A to B in the desert and then camp and have tea, bbq and shisha whole night. 

Those people have different 4x4 for a different lifestyle needs + 1 wrangler or capsula with LS engine for dune bashing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

Going back to my classic question: How many pickups you have seen in the desert? Maybe 1:10

Friend of mine bought Tundra SWB single cab, I think with supercharged or he added on and sold after 6 months to go back to LC SWB. When he bought it, he was all excited and peppy about Tundra but when he changed, he did it quietly.

All the marketing commercials of pickup talking about unleash your freedom, to be more manly and live like a king is a lifestyle touch for people who use these trucks to reach from point A to B in the desert and then camp and have tea, bbq and shisha whole night. 

Those people have different 4x4 for a different lifestyle needs + 1 wrangler or capsula with LS engine for dune bashing.

Capsula ? 

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

My absolute favourite ride for offroad use is the Bu Shanab i.e Land Cruiser Pickup. I dunno about the current generation with the V6, square lights plastic bumper version, But I have driven, used and abused off road and on road the previous generation in every imaginable way possible. I'm talking about this, one with the round lights and steel bumper

Image result for Land Cruiser pickup 2006

Built like a tank and virtually indestructible, inside out. And will go anywhere with anything loaded on it. Personally tested it up to 2 tons with generators and watertanks in the bed and then hit some decent dunes and soft sand. I just love it to bits.

But very rough ride, but you get used to it after a while. and unfortunately individuals cannot register them on their name.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, desertdude said:

But very rough ride, but you get used to it after a while. and unfortunately individuals cannot register them on their name.

I recently met a guy who imported this vehicle from Oman on his personal name and then got it registered in Dubai on his personal name as well. He mentioned this is the only way possible to register the Bu Shanab on an individual name.

• Like (+1) 2