•  
Advertise here

2010 Mitsubishi Outlander Transmission Advise

Hello everyone,

I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander SE (that I still owe $5700 on) and after having issues with the car driving I took it to a dealer. They informed me that I have a code 1778 and need to replace the valve body.

However, since the car is from 2010 and has 112000 miles on it they suggest replacing the CVT entirely with a used one that has 62000 miles on it.

The cost (+plus labor) for the valve body will be about $2000. The entire CVT replace will be about $5000 and come with a 1-year warranty.

The tech said I have a 50% chance of the valve body fixing the issue. Should I just replace the valve body and hope for the best or the whole trans and pray it lasts quite a bit longer than a year? What are your opinions?

I am not able to throw money around and at $5000 I could almost buy another used car, but I am still paying this one off. I did have an outside company warranty on the car, but it expired 2000 miles ago. I did bring the car in previously for CVT issues, but they couldn't diagnose it at the time when it was still under warranty.

Thank you!

• Like (+1) 1

At that Time when it was in warranty did you bother to get second opinion somewhere other than the dealer...?

Cvts as of yet have reliability issues so getting it FULLY repaired is the best option 

• Like (+1) 1

You were able to do 112k miles, almost 200k kms on one CVT that in itself is a miracle. I say get rid of it, instead of replacing with a used one already through 50% of its life seeing your bombed at 112k. 

• Like (+1) 1