•  

Please provide Tips to morning car startup

ARS

Is it necessary to switch on the car engine and keep it ON in neutral mode for sometimes before we drive ( like morning car startups).

Can we go with rpm which will be initially 1500 when we switch on and later reduces to 500?

Does it impact the engine if we dont wait and just drive ?

• Like (+1) 2

No matter what modern engineering says that you can start the car and drive off immediately for better fuel efficiency. 

PLEASE DON'T DO IT. Give at least 20-30 seconds to let all the fluids reach the critical components for a better life of Engine, Gear, 4x4, AC, Power steering etc.

Gone are the days when you start the car and wait for 5 minutes to let it fully warm, but still few seconds delay goes a long way.

I always start my car, before I get in so that by the time I sit and fasten the belt and roll down the windows its good enough 20-30 seconds. Also, make sure to start AC after these 20-30 seconds delay and not immediately to put additional load on the cold and dry engine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 8

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I follow 2 min rule for my Pajero and 30 secs for Range.

Newer engineering drops rpm to idle rev faster and hence following that is also a good idea.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Revs are high at start as in older cars there used to be a choke button. On days when it was difficult to start cars due to cold weather or long stops, the choke button used to up the revs for an easier start. Modern cars comes with the choke as an automatic option which increases the revs on start and as the car comes closer to operating temperatures the revs ease of to normal. I usually start the car and light a cigarette, this gives me about 5 minutes, as Gaurav bhai says I switch on the AC after 2 or 3 minutes warm up and open all windows for heat and other chemicals to escape. Once I finish smoking I belt up, close the windows and move.

Hope this helps.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

For me, if it’s modern, start it, wait 5 seconds for the oil pump then drive it. The ECU will take care of the fuelling.

Old stuff is a faff if you’re not used to manual choke and carbs. 

Shutoff is more important than startup, especially if you have a turbo car. 

If you have been driving hard, let the car idle for a minute before you switch it off. Let’s the coolant circulate. If you just switch it off it can create hotspots. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Basically its for old Carb engines, newer ones not so much. Try driving away in my buddys 1991 Toyota carb and it will keep splattering and shaking until it gets up to temp.

Even worse on a cold morning. Might even take two or three tries to keep it started. And since it has no choke you have to hold the gas pedal down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

19 hours ago, Barry said:

For me, if it’s modern, start it, wait 5 seconds for the oil pump then drive it. The ECU will take care of the fuelling.

Old stuff is a faff if you’re not used to manual choke and carbs. 

Shutoff is more important than startup, especially if you have a turbo car. 

If you have been driving hard, let the car idle for a minute before you switch it off. Let’s the coolant circulate. If you just switch it off it can create hotspots. 

I use to follow both as @Gauravand @Barry technics to start and stop the car use to give about 10-15 sec start and stop after 10-15sec it’s usually more not less, I have a question to ask do we need to switch the electronics for few seconds till the lights go off or we can start immediately without waiting.... I use to wait till the lights go off but seen many use to start immediately 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Praveenmp said:

I use to follow both as @Gauravand @Barry technics to start and stop the car use to give about 10-15 sec start and stop after 10-15sec it’s usually more not less, I have a question to ask do we need to switch the electronics for few seconds till the lights go off or we can start immediately without waiting.... I use to wait till the lights go off but seen many use to start immediately 

Just start it. You only need to wait for the glow plug light to go out if it’s a diesel. 

• Like (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use