•  
Advertise here

Engine temp Rising

Hi to all 

I was driving in full in Neck to Neck traffic yesterday for almost an hour and i noticed by Temp  Gauge  is rising , it moved from half to nearly hot

Once i was on free road it started to settle back to half gauge , is this normal or i need to do some check ups 

Pajero 2008 3.00 

• Like (+1) 2

Normal temperature for the Pajero is just below the half way mark. In bumper to bumper traffic with limited airflow through the radiator it can happen that the engine heated up a bit. But if it returned to normal in smooth traffic then it should not be a concern.

Anyways do check your coolant level and if it keeps happening you might want to have a look at your radiator an maybe get it flushed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

.Classic symptoms of Choked radiator or fan clutch on its way out. If the cooling system is working properly than it should not matter whether standing in traffic or moving. Temp should stay normal.

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

@Sidshk go to a radiator shop, get your radiator cleaned, flushed and fill with Mitsubishi original coolant. Coolant has a life too and needs to be changed as it looses its effectiveness with time. Like @desertdude said get the fan checked also, might be getting weak.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

If you dont hear gushing fan when temp is rising, then its radiator viscose clutch fan has gone.

If you hear it gushing then the radiator is choked and need proper cleaning not flushing, with new coolant.

For this exact free advise I spent a fortune 10 years back and almost all garages ripped me by saying multiple theories and stories and still car was overheating after 5k spent.

And yeah btw temp rising on road is not normal by any means. If its offroad I can understand that.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

In my experience cleaning flushing having it rodded out really doesnt help fpr some reason. Only proper cure Ive found is to get a new radiator and don't skimp and get a 400dhs dolphin radiator too.

• Like (+1) 5

Is there a definite way to test the viscose clutch? I’ve read here in the past about sticking a magazine slowly between the impeller and see if it stops the fan. That test would surely only verify if the clutch is “loose” on normal idle? 

The second way was rotating the impeller by hand and it should only do  2 or 3 full revolutions and then lock up. Is that correct ?

my temps are ok now but also go up 5-8 degrees when standing in traffic sometimes. And the gushing sound of which @Gaurav even made a video of  isn’t something I hear in my car.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I agree it could be the fan but most likely could only be the thermostat, if all fluid levels are okay and you hear the fans working then my best guess is the thermostat that is malfunctioning.

• Like (+1) 2

Welcome back @Javier M. Even if the thermostat is gone then also viscose clutch fan should engage as that is a purely mechanical and independent device to bring down the boiling coolant after certain degrees.

@Frederic temp movement on road is not normal and not acceptable unless you are offroading. 

Viscose clutch fan can be tested in two ways and most of the time 2nd one fails:

1. When the car is switched off, move the fan blades with hand and see if it rotate freely then it's bad. It should have a good amount of resistance, as with full hand force it should just move a blade or two and not even a full rotation.

2. When the car is overheating, viscose fan clutch should engage and roar loud noise as you are on 2k-3k rpm sounds, that's where clutch fan become free and move with idle RPM and resulting in gushing noise. 8 out of 10 times, when the clutch fan fails this is a first thing it fails on. And this is often time wrongly diagnosed, by suggesting to change 3 million other car parts than the viscose clutch fan.

Your paper sticking in fan is only testing the first bit and not the second part which is most important to bring the cooling down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

12 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

@Sidshk go to a radiator shop, get your radiator cleaned, flushed and fill with Mitsubishi original coolant. Coolant has a life too and needs to be changed as it looses its effectiveness with time. Like @desertdude said get the fan checked also, might be getting weak.

No leak 

• Like (+1) 2