•  

jeep cherokee xj workshop

bvmbics

5 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

One more point. The best thing about the XJ is that you can crawl below it and manually shift the vehicle from 2H to 4H and to 4L. So incase if your linkage has failed in the desert, do that.

Agree. Getting a clean one is most importand and it's a big challenge. But the issues that the OP has raised are minor ones and can easily get fixed. In your case, you spent more money fixing the AC than the value of the car.

Ac was one of the thing. When i sold the car it was needing new engine mounts, new fuel rails, new suspension, New AC duct box, some bushes under the car, roof paint was bubbling, when it rains water was leaking inside. I knew that even if i fix it all soon some other thing will come up. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, sertac said:

Ac was one of the thing. When i sold the car it was needing new engine mounts, new fuel rails, new suspension, New AC duct box, some bushes under the car, roof paint was bubbling, when it rains water was leaking inside. I knew that even if i fix it all soon some other thing will come up. 

I only changed the engine and gear mounts to the OEM. Have not changed any of the bushes and I do have a slight leak as well. My driver side window ocassionally works. Never had central lock. Doors don't close on the first attempt. Need to bang it a bit. But I have come to accept the car for what it can do and have started to ignore the other smaller bits which don't affect it's performance. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

2 hours ago, Frederic said:

Any accessory such as light bars should be connected through its own relay, dedicated power supply cable and own fuse to avoid such occurrences. Not sure who connected yours but it’s really a bad idea to hook that up to essential components.

actually when i got the jeep it the led was wired directly.The switches to them could be turned on accidentally leaving them to drain the battery.It probably happened once i guess i was more paranoid about it after that.so i just got it attached on to a relay (so the power would cut off once the key is turned off) which happened to be the cooling fan one.not a good idea i think.i will try to wire it through its own relay.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Srikumar said:

I faced the same issue with my Cherokee XJ after the 3" lift. It never went into 4H or 4L smoothly. This is because of the change in angle after the lift which would wear out the rubber bushings. I finally installed the Boostwerks linkage and I am currently having smooth and firm linkage. The only issue s that on some really bumpy terrains the transfer linkage very occasionally shifts from 4H to 2H. But this issue would be less if you have the NP242 transfer case as you have a part time and full time 4H.

My feedback is mentioned in the below post. Just be sure to buy the right linkage for your transfer case. Do you have the NP231 or NP242 transfer case? Also it would be better to buy the linkage for the transfer case drop.

Regarding your radiator fan not working, did you check the wiring of the LED Light bar and whether the wires are touching each other. I have very limited knowledge on electrical work, but it seems you have a short circuit somewhere causing the fuses to blow up. Put a rated wire with a proper fuse.

Also it would be good to have two additional aux fans infront of your radiator, to provide additional cooling while driving in the desert.

And go for JGC 😉. You can take the man out of the Jeep , but you can't take the Jeep out of the man.

thanks sreekumar will look in this.looks like a better option to get the linkage.If i order this will it fit stock or it need some adjustments due to the lift.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, bvmbics said:

thanks sreekumar will look in this.looks like a better option to get the linkage.If i order this will it fit stock or it need some adjustments due to the lift.

When you are on the Boostwerks site, it gives you two options, one with lift and one without. The difference between the two is that there is an extension linkage for the lifted vehicles. So better to buy that one. That guy does international shipment if you send him an email. Would cost you approx USD 100 landed, but it's definitely worth it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

3 hours ago, Srikumar said:

I faced the same issue with my Cherokee XJ after the 3" lift. It never went into 4H or 4L smoothly. This is because of the change in angle after the lift which would wear out the rubber bushings. I finally installed the Boostwerks linkage and I am currently having smooth and firm linkage. The only issue s that on some really bumpy terrains the transfer linkage very occasionally shifts from 4H to 2H. But this issue would be less if you have the NP242 transfer case as you have a part time and full time 4H.

My feedback is mentioned in the below post. Just be sure to buy the right linkage for your transfer case. Do you have the NP231 or NP242 transfer case? Also it would be better to buy the linkage for the transfer case drop.

Regarding your radiator fan not working, did you check the wiring of the LED Light bar and whether the wires are touching each other. I have very limited knowledge on electrical work, but it seems you have a short circuit somewhere causing the fuses to blow up. Put a rated wire with a proper fuse.

Also it would be good to have two additional aux fans infront of your radiator, to provide additional cooling while driving in the desert.

And go for JGC 😉. You can take the man out of the Jeep , but you can't take the Jeep out of the man.

i only have a part time so should be the NP241.the transfer linkage says 2H 4H N and 4L it doesnt have have a full time as far as i know .it had a light in the dash that used to come on sometimes called part time when the lever was engaged.  How do check what type of transfer case it has.this is a jeep cherokee 2001 yr.Could you suggest a workshop that could take a look and help order the right part.i am quite illiterate when it comes to these matters. i dont mind the distance just want a trust worthy shop.also need to sort out the extra radiator fans.

• Like (+1) 2

Can you send me the picture of the transfer case linkage taken from inside your car cabin clearly showing the description. I have attached one picture from the internet. The one on the left is NP231 and one on the right is NP242.

I changed these parts by studying various forums. Not sure which workshop guy would have the right knowledge. They can help you fix the linkage once you buy it, but till that point you have to do it yourself.

11vjxx0.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/19/2019 at 8:10 PM, Srikumar said:

Can you send me the picture of the transfer case linkage taken from inside your car cabin clearly showing the description. I have attached one picture from the internet. The one on the left is NP231 and one on the right is NP242.

I changed these parts by studying various forums. Not sure which workshop guy would have the right knowledge. They can help you fix the linkage once you buy it, but till that point you have to do it yourself.

11vjxx0.jpg

I have the one on the left 

• Like (+1) 2

Then you have a NP231. You can select from the website. Since you are driving an automatic you have to select automatic transmission along with transfer case drop.

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/231-HD-Shift-Linkage-Auto-Trans-V20_p_25.html

you can take this linkage to Saleem. He installed mine and is aware how it's to be done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Don't go along with that plastic gourmet it's interchangeable you have to study the plate on the transfer case itself to be 100 % sure just where the rear shaft extends there is a round plate rebit to the case take note from there

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use