•  
Advertise here

Driving in UAE on International Driving License

Guys, 

I would request input on the topic of my current interest at the moment. My brother is a frequent visitor to UAE on visit visa during his academic breaks. He is insisting on to obtain IDL from India and has plan to drive my car during his visit. Request input,suggestions/advice from experts on this topic. Few concern pops up in my mind are as listed below.

• Indian Driving License holder with IDL can drive in UAE - Any Car? or with restrictions?
  • Motor Insurance in UAE by default except this as a extended cover?
  • Anyone who have experience this in their family or in friend circle kindly share their experience. 
  • Like (+1) 2

@syedyaseerI checked with Police and insurance for my friend, he has the same condition with your brother, there is no problem to drive any car in UAE with IDL with the same category on the license as police said, I ask insurance also, they said in case of an accident if police issue the report the insurance will accept, I shared my experience but better you check and make it sure, its not on my responsibility 

good luck

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

4 minutes ago, hossein said:

@syedyaseerI checked with Police and insurance for my friend, he has the same condition with your brother, there is no problem to drive any car in UAE with IDL with the same category on the license as police said, I ask insurance also, they said in case of an accident if police issue the report the insurance will accept, I shared my experience but better you check and make it sure, its not on my responsibility 

good luck

@hossein Thank You brother. well noted. 

• Like (+1) 3

Last time I checked and it's been a while, visit visa holders with international license can only drive rent a car cars

P.S : I wouldn't let any one drive my car who doesn't have decent UAE driving experience from our south east Asian countries, even if it is my brother! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 hours ago, desertdude said:

Last time I checked and it's been a while, visit visa holders with international license can only drive rent a car cars

P.S : I wouldn't let any one drive my car who doesn't have decent UAE driving experience from our south east Asian countries, even if it is my brother! 

@desertdude Even i wont let anyone drive. But with exceptions to my brother. I know his driving style. I may let him try his hands on long drives (Roads with comparatively less traffic) such as trip to fujairah,khor fakkan or Ras Al Khaimah. City limits drive will be still no no from my side.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

56 minutes ago, syedyaseer said:

I may let him try his hands on long drives (Roads with comparatively less traffic) such as trip to fujairah,khor fakkan or Ras Al Khaimah.

That's indeed a safer move especially when left hand and right drive makes a big difference.

I have been honked for 2 days in London when I was still getting custom to there side of driving.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.