•  
Advertise here

Electric Vehicles breakthrough

On my last trip to China, i was very impressed to see at least 25% of all cars on the road to be electric vehicles. Scooters were 100% electric, as most busses too. Taxis were 50/50.

With all these new brands coming out of the far east, i am thoroughly curious to see how fast the rest of the world will pick up. 

One of the cars that surprised me the most, was the BAIC EU5 R500, which has 225hp and has an autonomy of 415 kilometers. I was sitting inside and was pleasantly surprised with the quality, minimal road noise, finishing, and performance.

https://www.coolcarsinchina.com/2018/09/04/the-beijing-auto-new-energy-eu5-r500-does-416-kilometers-on-one-charge/

Question will remain lifetime of the batteries, service, warranties, reliability, resale value, etc... but in a few years from now i am convinced that the breakthrough will have gone through.

I wouldn't mind driving one for my daily commute. 

• Like (+1) 6

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Wow, that's a nice sharing of cool tech and interesting stat of China moving toward the smoke-free nation.

An ideal way to go is to place all solar panel on the roof, that can recharge those batteries during the daytime. Even if its slow charge they can take up to 2-3 days to fully charge as anyways people only drive cars for 5% - 10% of the whole 24 hours time. Rest of the time they can be utilized to do something to save the environment, time and money.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

28 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Wow, that's a nice sharing of cool tech and interesting stat of China moving toward the smoke-free nation.

An ideal way to go is to place all solar panel on the roof, that can recharge those batteries during the daytime. Even if its slow charge they can take up to 2-3 days to fully charge as anyways people only drive cars for 5% - 10% of the whole 24 hours time. Rest of the time they can be utilized to do something to save the environment, time and money.

Thanks, and yes, solar in combination with battery packs is the ultimate solution to charge. Also to consider Dubai is giving free Salik, free parking, and free charging points to accelerate the EV initiative. I agree that is still picking up slowly in UAE, but from what i've seen in China, this will suddenly boost and looking at companies like Volvo that will go full electric by 2025 only emphasizes the fact that finally the big players are joining the show.

We looked into solar panels for our factory roofs, but payback is still 5-6 years which is for many companies not interesting enough. Prices however are dropping further, and leasing options are plenty. 

Tesla did the ground work and might be drowning now, but the market is finally maturing and i am sure there is no way back.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Frederic brilliant share and good to have a first hand insight from what you've seen in China. Definitely looks promising with a lot of question marks, but inevitably the future staring us right in our face.

• Like (+1) 1

China is definitely ahead of the curve much more than the west would want us to believe.

As of now China is pretty much a cashless society and has been for sometime now and Im not takomg cresit cards but smart pay, e wallet, most monetary transactions are paid through phone, wechat seems to the weapon of choice their, even the smallest vendors are using it. Just scan the QR code which you can find at the counter or even  on shop fronts, amount to be paid and done. 

China has been unnecessarily demonized in the west.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

11 hours ago, desertdude said:

China is definitely ahead of the curve much more than the west would want us to believe.

As of now China is pretty much a cashless society and has been for sometime now and Im not takomg cresit cards but smart pay, e wallet, most monetary transactions are paid through phone, wechat seems to the weapon of choice their, even the smallest vendors are using it. Just scan the QR code which you can find at the counter or even  on shop fronts, amount to be paid and done. 

China has been unnecessarily demonized in the west.

I agree with most of what of you say, but perhaps China will be demonized less when they get the issue of Government-approved theft of intellectual property under control. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, treks said:

I agree with most of what of you say, but perhaps China will be demonized less when they get the issue of Government-approved theft of intellectual property under control. 

Well the demonization is totally politicaland nothing to do with intellectual property and China is moving towards that too. Recently JLR won a case in a Chinese courtroom against a Chinese company ripping off on of their designs and ordered it to stop its production. 

P.S : As if the west wasnt or isnt involved in govt backed theft too. During the space race, cold war etc etc everybody was keeping tabs and trying to rip off each other. 

The entire nuclear and rocket program was basically ripped off from German Scientists.  

• Like (+1) 2

The Germans were not exactly ripped off. They were so far ahead of everyone else that nobody was in a position to actually rip them off, so what the Americans did was to transplant the German rocket program (scientists included, except for those that the Russians got hold of first) to US soil.

True about the JLR case, although that case represents the exception that proves the rule. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, Frederic said:

On my last trip to China, i was very impressed to see at least 25% of all cars on the road to be electric vehicles. Scooters were 100% electric, as most busses too. Taxis were 50/50.

With all these new brands coming out of the far east, i am thoroughly curious to see how fast the rest of the world will pick up. 

One of the cars that surprised me the most, was the BAIC EU5 R500, which has 225hp and has an autonomy of 415 kilometers. I was sitting inside and was pleasantly surprised with the quality, minimal road noise, finishing, and performance.

https://www.coolcarsinchina.com/2018/09/04/the-beijing-auto-new-energy-eu5-r500-does-416-kilometers-on-one-charge/

Question will remain lifetime of the batteries, service, warranties, reliability, resale value, etc... but in a few years from now i am convinced that the breakthrough will have gone through.

I wouldn't mind driving one for my daily commute. 

• Like (+1) 1