Toyota General Discussion Forum | Toyota 86 Forum | Toyota Aurion Forum | Toyota Avalon Forum | Toyota Avanza Forum | Toyota Camry Forum | Toyota Corolla Forum | Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum | Toyota Fortuner Forum | Toyota Innova Forum | Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Forum | Toyota Land Cruiser Forum | Toyota Previa Forum | Toyota Rav4 Forum | Toyota Sequoia Forum | Toyota Tundra Forum | Toyota Yaris Forum | Toyota Zelas Forum

Good day house, i have come to discover that most if not all OEM navigation comes with WINCE platform and people prefer to customize with After market Android Navigation, why do you think manufacturers prefer to install WINCE navigation instead of Android Navigation platform?. Your opinions will be appreciated

• Like 1

1st off all its not WINCE which is short for Windows CE an OS for mobile devices since the early 90s. Its Windows Embedded Automotive based on WINCE but custom built for automotive use.

So why would car manufacturers waste time and money porting an OS meant for mobile device for automotive use. When one already exist. Todays vehicles have many ECUs which all talk to each other and if you mess with one, the whole system gets messed up. 

Today in a few cars you can just rip out the head unit and replace it with an aftermarket one without losing some other functionality of the vehicle or you need to do further modifications to make them work. Like steering mounted controls which are getting more complicated by the day. And to get even the most basic steering controls to work with an aftermarket headunit is a huge PITA and expensive.

Unfortunately for people in the business like you the days of people replacing head units are almost gone, where 1st thing a person did was get rid of the crappy head unit that came with the car. Nowadays even the most basic and cheap cars come with head units that will play CD's Mp3s have Bluetooth, USB and Aux line input already. 

Even my super shitty rental Sunny has it all and pretty decent sound on top, My own car the Range Rover comes with an already pretty bangin' 12 speaker sound system. Even mid range saloons come with good 6 to 8 speaker with all the bells and whistles systems. 

I could see people driving the real low end econoboxes like my rental sunny wanting to get a touch screen and nav unit or who buy form local stealerships here who charge full price for luxury SUVs but kit them out in very basic ICE and options.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you very much for your elaborate response but i disagree with you when you said " the days of people replacing head units are almost gone". Manufacturers will always leave a space for people to customize there head unit because they cannot fully make a unit meet all the end users requirement unless the unit will be extremely expensive which will always give room for the Auto Accessories industries like "US" to release aftermarket screens to meet other end users requirement. All the same thank you for your contribution

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Manufacturers are making it more difficult if you want to fit an aftermarket head unit. It used to be you had 2 choices, single din or double din, everything had an iso plug or you could just buy a simple adapter lead. You could almost choose any radio and put it in any car. Now the head units are designed to fit a particular car, sometimes heater controls and stuff are built into the panel, so it can be a pain in the ass. 

Anyway, MS v Android is irrelevant. I’d love to see a headunit running iOS. It’s cleaner and faster. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, FlyAudio said:

Thank you very much for your elaborate response but i disagree with you when you said " the days of people replacing head units are almost gone". Manufacturers will always leave a space for people to customize there head unit because they cannot fully make a unit meet all the end users requirement unless the unit will be extremely expensive which will always give room for the Auto Accessories industries like "US" to release aftermarket screens to meet other end users requirement. All the same thank you for your contribution

No I don't think so, there are many cars right now you cannot swap out head units for example my range rover and in a few years as car manufacturers move towards replacing copper wires with fiber optic cables it will be almost impossible unless custom built and programmed for each car individually which translates to very expensive.

And nowadays they do meet 95% of end user requirements, with nav, audio, video ad much more including some of the car other functions built into it.

Also cars like planes are moving towards a glass cockpit and actually some have. Glass cockpit meaning analogue gauges, readouts, know and switches being replaced with screens. 

Look at the new luxury cars its now 80 to 90% replaced with screens and very few buttons and knobs. Even steering wheel controls now have touch screens now. And like I said all systems integrated am with each other mostly over fibre optic wires Instead of old school copper wires. 

Wont be long before this tech becomes cheaper amd trickles down to cheaper economy cars.

Just like airbags,abs, parking sensors back in thr day were to be found only in the flagship models now even a basic Sunny has them as standard.

So if you want to stay in business you need to evolve with the times. Otherwise you will just be like Microsoft and poo poo Apple when they came out with the first iPhone saying it will never take off, but by the time they realized it was the next best thing and tried to get into the action it was too late. 

Hence there are now 0 new Windows based smartphones and that too after Microsoft literally dumped billions into smartphones.

• Like 1
  • Well Done 1

Specifically Chrysler's head units if changed you can kiss your obd port bye bye as it won't determine anything

Even on Peugeot it's like that

Older model Lexus also if you put aftermarket heads only 2 or 4 speakers will work others won't

People usually back probe the original unit and put a additional device in the glove box which has a mmc slot a USB slot and aux port

• Like 1
  • Well Done 1

16 hours ago, shadow79 said:

Specifically Chrysler's head units if changed you can kiss your obd port bye bye as it won't determine anything

Even on Peugeot it's like that

Older model Lexus also if you put aftermarket heads only 2 or 4 speakers will work others won't

People usually back probe the original unit and put a additional device in the glove box which has a mmc slot a USB slot and aux port

Exactly after a couple years almost no cars will have swappable standard units. That's why the aftermarket audio business is down in the dumps.

• Like 1
  • Totally Agree 1

Besides anyone with a little DIY knowledge does the installations themselves. for the last almost 20 yrs Ive done all my audio upgrades and installations myself. 

Most difficult was my previous 1998 range rover which had a separate amp in each door and for woofer in the boot all married to the company head unit. Although the head unit was good but it was outdated so had to replace it with something that played mp3s and line input.

But once I got it working the clarion head unit was really bumping the 11 harmon kardon speakers.

Did never find a way to get my steering controls working but it was a well worth compromise in that.

• Like 1
  • Totally Agree 1

Hi, guys!

Just recently replaced standard Toyota WinCE Navigation by modern based on Android and I so happy about that!

On a paper original Toyota head is good but in a reality it is just a piece of crap while Android not only provides fantastic functionality but also sounds waaaay better!

So, on a simple car like Prado, definitely you can replace the head unit and you can even have working steering wheel buttons without issues!

• Like 3
  • WOW 1

Although not the best possible solution, but if you really want to keep the OEM headunit that has no RCA outputs to power an external amp, you could install a high level to RCA converter:

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-BOSS-Audio-B65N-Systems/dp/B000LP4RMQ

This little device converts speaker output from the headunit to a RCA level output that you can feed to your amp. Some amps have this option built-in.

I've done many installs like that in the past in European cars where the head-unit is almost impossible to replace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1