•  

Importance of wearing shoes in the desert

Shamil

I received an interesting video the other day and I realized it would be a good idea to share the same to enlighten our off-road community about the importance of wearing shoes during our off-road drives. In the video, you can see a desert rattlesnake making its way into a gas station and bear in mind that this is a venomous breed. An unsuspecting fuel attendant then, accidentally steps over the reptile after which, it attacks the man on his foot and since he's wearing shoes, he's out of harms way.

It made me realize that this scenario could happen to us whereby we may come across a snake or another aggressive desert creature. They could attack us in a similar fashion and if we happen to be barefoot or wearing slippers, flip flops or anything that keeps our feet exposed, we could be running the risk of being on the receiving end of a nasty sting/bite. So in conclusion, I'd say - its better to be safe than sorry and protect ourselves by wearing shoes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

the Video was bi scary, it’s true if we are with bare foot it will be dangerous, same time the shoes we chose should also good enough to handle this snake bite, does any specific brand or model we have to chose for desert, have seen the tour operators were using a sand colored military kind of shoes 

79DF0388-CC4D-4CE5-96D9-AF8E994B63BB.jpeg

Edited by Praveenmp
  • Like (+1) 4

All kidding aside, this is a very good contribution, @Shamil. Very important to wear proper shoes, especially in summer nights when snakes and scorpions are out. 

The better is to wear boots or high hiking shoes.

• Like (+1) 5

Great share @Shamil. Much appreciated. We keeping repeating in our newbie brief the importance of wearing full shoes. But we do not have any video evidence although we have seen loads of such incidents over a decade. The snake is a side winder and can travel very fast sideways. It does have a rattle but will only attack if it feels threatened.

• Like (+1) 5

Closed shoes or boots also make it much easier to walk in the sand when doing recovery work. 

Edited by Frederic
  • Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Good find and valuable share @Shamil. Thanks a lot.

For outdoor venturing in desert and mountain, every offroader should wear "Closed Shoes" or boots, best is leather or suede to be water resistant and bite resistant. Those fake military shoes I have tried once and they didn't last for 6 months and the sole came off, due to aggressive stress they receive in climbing dunes and soft sand.

Best is to go with known brand shoes, and on such model and shape, you get discounts almost all year round as in UAE very fewer people demand them.

I used Sketchers for 3 years and now im using Timberland from almost 2 years. I guess they both were in the range of 300-400 dhs after discount. Those fake military shoes come cheaper in the range of 100-150 dhs, but they don't last long like good brands.

The second advantage with good brand shoes, your feet will be comfortable for long hours due to better padding, insole and support. I have done 16 hours of continuous climb (13 km) on feet with these timberland shoes.

image.png

• Like (+1) 5
  • WOW (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

5 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Good find and valuable share @Shamil. Thanks a lot.

For outdoor venturing in desert and mountain, every offroader should wear "Closed Shoes" or boots, best is leather or suede to be water resistant and bite resistant. Those fake military shoes I have tried once and they didn't last for 6 months and the sole came off, due to aggressive stress they receive in climbing dunes and soft sand.

Best is to go with known brand shoes, and on such model and shape, you get discounts almost all year round as in UAE very fewer people demand them.

I used Sketchers for 3 years and now im using Timberland from almost 2 years. I guess they both were in the range of 300-400 dhs after discount. Those fake military shoes come cheaper in the range of 100-150 dhs, but they don't last long like good brands.

The second advantage with good brand shoes, your feet will be comfortable for long hours due to better padding, insole and support. I have done 16 hours of continuous climb (13 km) on feet with these timberland shoes.

image.png

Ironically one of the things I hate most is sand in my shoes and these ankle length shoes just would not stop the sand getting in. After trying many pairs I still ended up with small dunes in my house after I came back from work and took my shoes off. Then I finally bought a pair of military boots from these shops that do uniforms for the police and military for 300dhs.

Best 300dhs I've ever spent. literally light as a feather, sand, water and oil resistance and after a full day in the desert even in knee high sand, not a single speck of sand. They were light, never got hot and ltook about a couple of seconds to get on and off as I kept them slightly loose on the top and just slipped them on and off like cowboy boots. 

I don't have a pic but they look something like this but with a thinner sole and proper laceeyelets all the way to the top

Image result for military boots

• Like (+1) 4

I agree dude on walking with kgs of sand is no fun. To this problem I found a solution by chance to wear a boot cut Jeans that snuggly cover the shoe neck and prevent sand seeping in 90 out of 100 times. 

I hated the military shoes long neck as you cant drive comfortably for long with tight hold of ankle and calf area.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use